The Ultimate Oven Fries
3 russet potatoes (about 8 oz each)Directions:
5 tablespoons vegetable or peanut
salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 475 degrees and make sure one of the racks is on the bottom rung.
- Peel your russet potatoes and cut them into wedges of equal thickness. Russets are the superior potato for Oven Fries.
- Soak the potato wedges in hot water for 10 min - the water will get very cloudy (This helps make the potatoes insides all creamy)
- Pat the potato dry and then toss them in 1 tablespoon of oil.
- Spread the remaining 4 tablespoons of oil on a heavy dark baking sheet. (You'll get better browning with a dark baking sheet.) Then, arrange the potato wedges on the baking sheet in a single layer.
- Cover the baking sheet with tin foil and place it on the bottom rack of the oven for 5 minutes. (This steams the potatoes and keeps them from getting hallow in the middle)
- Remove the foil and keep baking for 10 min or until a golden brown on bottom
- Flip the fries over with tongs and then continue baking until they are completely golden brown, for a total of 15-20 minutes
- Remove from oven once golden and transfer to a plate lined with paper towels. Use additional towel to blot of the extra oil. Salt and pepper to taste and eat tastily.