So the soup wasn't that good

Yeah, the soup sounded good, but it wasn't. So I'm going to erase that recipe out of my blog lest anyone else commit the same cooking folly as me. However, I did make some wonderful buttermilk blue berry pancakes. (The recipe is in the comments.)

Jeff and I have taken to reading a loud to each other. Jeff can work on his art while I read. I am like a live, interactive book on tape. We just finished The Game of Thrones. It was a pretty good book. We spent a lot of time talking about all the intrigue of characters between chapters. I had to inner library lone the next book in the series. That's right, it's a series and an unfinished one at that. However, while we were waiting for it to come in we started 1984. I enjoyed the book up until the main character started to read a philosophy book. We've been reading the philosophy book now for 20 pages and it looks like it goes on a while. I don't want to keep reading, it is boring and school bookish. I didn't expect a philosophy book. I was expecting something along the line of Brave New World. Where the philosophy is coated between characters and interesting hypothoses about what the future is like. Ah well, I can check it off my classic book list.


  1. Buttermilk BlueBerry Pancackes

    Serves 4-6 people

    2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
    2 tbsn sugar
    2 tspn baking powder
    1/2 tspn baking soda
    1/2 tspn salt

    2 cups Buttermilk*
    1 large egg
    2 tbsn butter melted and slightly cooled

    1-2 teaspoons vegetable oil
    1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries

    1. Whisk dry ingredients together in a medium bowl.
    2. Add buttermilk, egg and butter to dry ingredients. Mix until just combined. If you over mix it'll make the pancakes tough. But if you like hard to chew pancakes go a head and beat that batter!
    3. Heat skillet over medium heat for 3-5 mins. Pour in a tspn or so of oil and coat the skillet. Pour about a 1/4 to 1/2 a cup of batter onto the skillet. Sprinkle some blueberries on top of the batter in the skillet. After one to two minutes flip and brown other side.
    4. Eat tastily while still warm.

    *If you don't keep buttermilk on hand, mix milk with a tbsn of lemon juice and let stand a couple minutes until it thickens like buttermilk.

  2. Anonymous11/08/2005

    Hmm...I remember liking 1984, until the end. Then again, I don't remember how it ends. My list of books to read (and, in some cases, reread) is growing faster than I can whittle it down...but reading aloud/being read aloud to is wonderful, regardless. How sweet! Hope to actually talk to you soon...

  3. No you can't check it off your classic book list because assholes like me will pester you until you relent.

    If you are into at all that type of book, which it seems you are by your Brave New World hint, We by Eugene Zamatin is excellent, excellent, excellent. It is out of print, but I have a copy if you want. Then again, you probably don't, because you don't trust my 1984-loving butt.