2.28.2006

I feel like a food post

It is absolutely beautiful here! 74 degrees and sunny with a nice warm breeze. I have tomorrow off and it's supposed to be even nicer. I am going to go laze around in the park, after stopping by the library for something to read.

Jeff and I went to lunch at a little Italian place on Broughton and MLK called Constantino's, and I have to say it was really good. Mary at The Nursery told me to check it out. The price was right, about $6-8 a plate and Jeff and I both had really yummy sandwiches. I had the Tuscany which was fresh mozzarella, pesto and tomato on a thick and chewy French roll. Jeff had the Italian Burger which had mozzarella and Kalmata olives on a thick medium rare burger. Apparently, they have good house wine too, but we didn't check that out. They haven't been open very long, but they are already buying out the store next to them to expand. I'd rate it right up there with Sweet Potato as one of my favorite places to eat in Savannah.

I saw Lasagna on their menu, so when I went to the store I decided to get the stuff to make Jeff's Mom's Vegetarian Lasagna. It's very tasty, even if it is a bit of work and it is one of the few dishes of Jeff's Mom's that when I make it, Jeff doesn't say, "my mom's is different," (aka better). I'll put the recipe in the comments.

2 comments:

  1. Vegetable lasagna (from NancyB)
    preheat 3500
    ½ cup diced onion,
    2 cups grated carrots
    ½ lb. sliced mushrooms
    1 T olive oil
    24 oz. spaghetti sauce
    6 oz. tomato paste
    small can sliced olives
    1 lb. fresh spinach
    2 layers raw lasagna noodles
    16. oz. cottage cheese
    2 cups monterey jack cheese sliced
    Top with Parmesan cheese.

    Saute onion, carrot, and mushrooms in olive oil until soft. Add spaghetti sause, tomato paste, and olives simmer for 10-15 min. Layer in 9 x 13 pan.

    1/3 sauce
    noodles
    1/2 cheese
    1/2 spinach
    1/3 sauce
    noodles
    1/2 cheese
    1/2 spinach
    1/3 sauce

    Top with Parmesan cheese, cover, and bake at 3500 for 1 hour, 15 minutes. Remove from oven, uncover, and let stand for 5 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3/01/2006

    mmm...new Italian restaurant. I need to come back to Savannah. rob has some beautiful pictures of Tybee Island up on ilyAIMY's site. Did you enjoy them on Friday?
    ~Jamie

    ReplyDelete