12.08.2009

Evaluating Our Food and Dining Spending from November

I signed up for Mint.com which is an online budget/financial planner website. I gave them info or access to all our finance stuff: bank accounts, student loans, credit cards. Then it compiles all the information and tells you where your money is coming in and where it is going out. Then it makes nifty pie charts. It is pretty slick.

So last month this was how we (altough it is mostly I - I do most of the cooking and food shopping) spent on Food and Dining in November:



Okay, so my excuses are: We celebrated a friend’s birthday by buying the the table a round of Irish car bombs – it was an Irish pub after all - so we had quite a bar tab. We also had a big Thanksgiving. Even though I didn’t make all the food, I did drop around $70 at the local co-op buying local/organic cranberries, parsnips, pecans, Brussels sprouts and other various and sundry things. Then I went to the usually grocery store and bought more…

So here’s what we are going to do about it.

Goal: To spend less than $200 a month on groceries and less than
$100 a month on dining out for a total Food and Dining Budget of $300 a month.

That’s just $75 a week or about $10 a day. I say it is doable. A couple of the blogs I follow did $30 a month challenge – that’s just a $1 a day (per person). It was part of a hunger awareness campaign. So it could be worse I could be doing this on $90 for the whole month. We’ll see how this December goes before trying that challenge.

Now that I have evaluated the problem and I have made my excuses, I’m going to have to figure out how to implement the new Food and Dining Budget. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment