Food Plan to Stay on Budget for the Week

So I did this a little bit backwards. I should have made a meal plan before I went grocery shopping, but with the impending blizzard, I just ran out and got stuff with just a little forethought. I probably under bought because I was afraid to spend too much. The upshot is most of what I bought will store for a couple weeks or longer. But there are still some things in the kitchen that have a definite shelf life.

Here’s what’s currently in the kitchen that I should use up soon:

  • Cranberries (they are so cheap after Thanksgiving, but what am I going to do with them?)
  • Basil flavored Feta (1/2 a package left)
  • Pesto
  • Meat loaf, leftover
  • Enchiladas, leftover
  • Spinach, fresh
  • Homemade pizza sauce (about 2 cups)
  • Spring greens, fresh
  • Avocado
  • Pear (super ripe)
  • 2 kiwis (very ripe)
  • Quick bread mystery from the freezer

I used the trick of writing a couple ingredients plus recipe into google and seeing what came up. That’s how I got the sweet potato dish. So here’s what I came up with for the week:

  1. Enchiladas with avocado and romaine lettuce salad and the kiwis
  2. Baked sweet potatoes stuffed with pears, cranberries and pecans and a spring green salad and homemade bread
  3. Minestone Genovese soup (using some of the spinach and pesto) with an apple feta salad and homemade bread
  4. Spinach, monetary jack cheese and sausage frittata with mystery quick bread and apple slices
  5. Wheat fettuccine with marinara sauce and meatballs (which I will attempt to reinvent from any leftover meatballs and the pizza sauce) with broccoli, homemade bread and Clementine oranges.

This is just a tentative plan that may be altered, but from here I can decide what items I need to buy. It looks like a couple things for the minestrone, sweet potatoes and more lettuce. So I’m going to walk down the street to the nearby grocery and pick up the missing ingredients.


  1. cool: sounds yummy.
    but also: Cranberries: just stick the bag in the freezer. I only JUST finished the crans from last season.

  2. I have a second bag in the freezer! ha! They are so cheap right now I just keep buying them.