So I did this a little bit backwards. I should have made a meal plan before I went grocery shopping, but with the impending blizzard, I just ran out and got stuff with just a little forethought. I probably under bought because I was afraid to spend too much. The upshot is most of what I bought will store for a couple weeks or longer. But there are still some things in the kitchen that have a definite shelf life.
Here’s what’s currently in the kitchen that I should use up soon:
- Cranberries (they are so cheap after Thanksgiving, but what am I going to do with them?)
- Basil flavored Feta (1/2 a package left)
- Meat loaf, leftover
- Enchiladas, leftover
- Spinach, fresh
- Homemade pizza sauce (about 2 cups)
- Spring greens, fresh
- Pear (super ripe)
- 2 kiwis (very ripe)
- Quick bread mystery from the freezer
I used the trick of writing a couple ingredients plus recipe into google and seeing what came up. That’s how I got the sweet potato dish. So here’s what I came up with for the week:
- Enchiladas with avocado and romaine lettuce salad and the kiwis
- Baked sweet potatoes stuffed with pears, cranberries and pecans and a spring green salad and homemade bread
- Minestone Genovese soup (using some of the spinach and pesto) with an apple feta salad and homemade bread
- Spinach, monetary jack cheese and sausage frittata with mystery quick bread and apple slices
- Wheat fettuccine with marinara sauce and meatballs (which I will attempt to reinvent from any leftover meatballs and the pizza sauce) with broccoli, homemade bread and Clementine oranges.
This is just a tentative plan that may be altered, but from here I can decide what items I need to buy. It looks like a couple things for the minestrone, sweet potatoes and more lettuce. So I’m going to walk down the street to the nearby grocery and pick up the missing ingredients.