12.10.2009

Homemade Bread is Better than Bought Bread

Happy Snow Day Everyone!

It was an excellent day for baking so that's exactly what I did. I made 12 English muffins, 2 loaves of onion bread and enchiladas for dinner.

I thought I had a recipe for the English Muffins up on this blog from our time in Savannah, however all I could find was this cryptic reference,
I made English muffins the other night, they are very tasty. Much better than
the store bought kind. I'm so impressed with them. They are lighter and moister
and just incredibly good. The recipe said to make the dough into 12 muffins and
those are some big muffins. Next time I think I will halve the recipe and make
smaller muffins. January 2006
I was probably using a recipe out of the New Best Recipes because I would have just gotten that cookbook. I have no idea where that cookbook got packed. I'm sure it is still in storage. So I just kind of made the recipe up as I went along. Then I forgot about the dough for about five hours and the dough actually deflated because the yeast produced so many bubbles. In the spirit of not wasting anything I divided the over risen dough in half, tore it into small pieces then added more water, sugar, salt, oil and made it into two new sets of dough; one for the English muffins and one for the onion bread.
They both turned out pretty tasty. I also made them smaller English muffins per my previous comments. I only ate one and the rest have cooled and put into a zip lock for breakfast consumption.

I also made two loaves of bread, but I didn't photograph those for you. They should make delicious sides for dinners or if we don't finish them I'll toast them for bread crumbs and keep them in the freezer.

1 comment:

  1. I lost track of time reading your blog,I really like it. I saw your site from the foodieblogroll and if you won't mind, I'd love to guide foodista readers to your site.Just add a foodista widget at the end of this blog post and it's ready to go.Thanks!

    ReplyDelete