1.09.2010

10 Grain Rolls - Recipe for High Fiber Bread

It's a good time to get healthy. Isn't that on your list of New Year's Resolutions? It's about six or seven down on mine. I only like healthy if it tastes good. So I have been working on a tasty high fiber wheat bread. Why high fiber? It's good for you. WikiAnswers told me so:

According to the American Heart Association, the average American takes in only 15 grams of fiber. Several organizations recommend 25 - 30 grams a day. The American Dietetic Association recommends 25 - 35 grams a day. If your intake is 15 grams or less and you want to increase your fiber intake, increase it gradually. If you jump from 15 to 35 grams a day, it may cause stomach cramping and gas.
I found this Bob's Red Mill - Organic Whole Grain High Fiber Hot Cereal in the flour isle at the grocery store. It has 10 grams of fiber per 1/3 cup. Holy fiber, Batman! So I plan on using about a cup of it in my bread.
What are the 10 grains you might ask? Northwest oat groats (whatever groats are), flaxseed, wheat germ, bran and wheat bran. That's what the packages says, and if you counted, you realize that's only five. I had to go to Bob's Red Mill website to find the complete set: red wheat, rye, triticale, oat bran, oats, corn, barley, soy beans, brown rice, millet, and flaxseed. Oddly the first five are not all on the second ten.

Enough about health for now let's get into the fun bread making part. I figured out that my (well Adam's and Emily's coffee maker) keeps liquid at the optimal temperature for growing yeast. I also discovered I can make tea in the coffee pot by putting a tea bag in the carafe. (I drink my coffee in the morning and then switch over to tea once the coffee runs out. So my tea tastes a little like coffee *shrug*.) I used tea as the liquid in this recipe to start to the yeast.
I poured one cup of tea into a bowl, it was green tea if you are wondering. Then I added a tablespoon brown sugar and then the packet of yeast. It bloomed very nicely.

I found this Active Dry Yeast by Hodgson Mill that says it is "especially for whole grain". So I figured I'd try it. I really despise that it is only available in these little over priced, over packaged packets. I'll try it this once in the name of better bread.
I let the yeast bloom for five minutes before mixing in one cup of the 10 grain cereal, one teaspoon salt and one tablespoon olive oil. Then I cracked in an egg and kept stirring. Next I added one cup wheat flour, one cup white flour and turned out the dough to knead. I kneaded in about another quarter cup of white flour. If you try this recipe keep the dough a little sticky. The stickier the dough the bigger it will rise and whole grain bread needs a lot of rising so it isn't too heavy.

I let the dough rise for about an hour. I had it sitting on the stove top and the oven was on. That wasn't such a good idea because the bowl the dough was in got a little too hot and I think it killed some of the yeast.
I punched - er slapped - down my dough and made it into 12 little dough balls so I could make rolls. I put the balls into a greased 9x9 baking pan. Rolls are awesome because they are automatically divided into serving sizes; which is good us because Jeff and I can finish a one pound loaf for dinner. Fresh bread is fabulous.
Once the rolls had risen nicely again. I baked them in the oven at 375 degrees for about 30 minutes until the tops started to brown.

The rolls taste pretty good, a little on the dry side. Perhaps more oil next time? The flavor is nice and nutty, with a light texture.  Here's a the step by step instruction with list of ingredients. 

These rolls are the perfect side for soup! And you know I've been making a lot of soup lately.

One last health bit: These rolls come in at 2 Weight Watcher Points each. They have 130 calories per serving, 3 grams of fat and 3 grams of fiber. Mission accomplished! We have tasty, high fiber rolls.

And the fancy yeast I bought “especially for whole grain”? I couldn’t tell the difference. I’ll stay with my big glass bottle of active dry yeast, thank you very much.

22 comments:

  1. I love, love multigrain king of breads. Great job with your rolls, they sound delicious! thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made these two days ago. They were yummy with a bit of butter and honey straight out of the oven. My husband ate one with the soup I made yesterday and it was a hit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM! Those look delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great recipe! These look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen that in the store and wondered in the back of my head what I'd do with it. Totally saving this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look delicious! I love a good, wholegrain bread, and in roll form, it's even better. I'll have to look for that grain mix.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fancy whole grain yeast? Sounds like a ploy to me. The only whole grain specialty item I use is vital wheat gluten, which definitely increases height and fluffiness.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dry, who cares, the health benefits are fantastic! Love your healthy cooking (= And the 10 grains, whoa! Serious fiber.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful healthy rolls, I like this recipe, thanks for sharing:-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum! I love the idea of using tea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those rolls so healthy and delicious!!! I love Bob's Red Mill! Yum!! Thanks for sharing, def going to try these!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds good. I'm always looking for good whole wheat bread recipes :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those look wonderful. I love whole grain breads, just for the consistency. Feels like you're eating something other than cotton. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! Thanks for the recipe. I love bread, but healthy versions are hard to come by. I did WW for three years, lost 100lbs, thanks for including points value.

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh these look and sound great!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Go to Hodgson Mills website at
    http://www.hodgsonmill.com/roi/673/Baking-Aids/

    and scroll down to the yeast.

    These look amazing. I make the dough usually in my ABM. If I want to bake in there, which I normally don't do, I use the whole wheat or the French bread cycle for whole grain loaves. I also use Bob's Red Mill 10 Grain Cereal for baking. I love it. I also grind it up in a coffee grinder (specific for spices and grains) and add it to my pancake mix OR other breads. It is wonderful stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is SUCH a Whole Grains Council-approved post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks great! Were on a bread kick now that I rediscovered my old bread machine. I can't wait to try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice. your bread turned out perfectly. I am always afraid that the yeast can't bind all the healthy grains together.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi, can i use 10 grain flour in replace of the 10 grain cereal?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Jen, I would guess you can replace the flour with the cereal. It's is probably more finely ground, so I would reduce the ammount by about 1/5. The nutrition information would obviously also change if you substitute ingredients. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete