10 in 2010 - Ten Weeks to Healthy in 2010 week 4

Many of my favorite blogs are participating in the online challenge Ten in 2010. The challenge is to incorporate new methods of healthy living into your life over ten weeks. Each Saturday participating bloggers write about their weekly progress. What are the new methods of healthy living you might ask? Whatever you choose to make your goal.

My goals for the ten weeks are:
  • Write down what I eat every day
  • Weigh myself every day
  • Be able to do the yoga pose Downward Dog with my heels on the floor
 It's the third full week of working towards these goals.  It's slow but steady progress. 

Write down what I eat every day:
I've been using my iGoogle application called "WW Point Tracker" to keep a food journal. I love it. It even records your daily history so you can see what you have eaten over time and how many Points you have consumed. I took the data and made a chart out of it. I can see that my daily average is right around 30 points per day. For non Weight Watcher types this means my calorie intake is about 2100 calories per day. I would like to drop my average down to about 1800 calories or 26 points. So this week that's going to be my goal to drop down my points just a bit.

Weigh myself every day:
I know there are a lot of opinions on whether or not weighing every day is a good idea. I always get lots of comments on this practice. I will say it depends on the person. For me it is good motivation and I do not get obsessive. For me it is a reminder at the beginning of the day to be mindful about how I eat. I am very careful to weigh myself at the same time every day in the same situation. This lends consistency so my weight fluctuations are less effected by water weight or temporary gains and losses.  

So that being said, how did this week go? Not too great. You can see I had a big weekend and Monday had a weight spike. Then I got myself back in gear. I really want to get out of the 140's. If I get out of the 140's I will officially have a healthy "normal" BMI.  Right now I am in the "overweight" category.

Since I started tracking my weight on New Year's Eve I have lost 5.6 pounds. My jeans are looser and I actually feel better about myself. I considering this a victory.

Be able to do the yoga pose Downward Dog with my heels on the floor:
I've been working on this one, but it doesn't seem to be going very well. I don't seem to be any closer.  I'm not the most flexible person. The way I have been trying to get my heels on the floor is to do Downward dog and stretch my heels towards the floor. Perhaps I should try something else. Anyone have any suggestions?


  1. Sounds like your doing great if you've already lost over five pounds! Way better than me, lol!! Wish I could give you suggestions on yoga ;) Keep it up Foy, I'm excited to see how you do this coming week :D

  2. Your 3rd goal made me laugh out loud. I feel your pain.

    I cannot for the life of me do a downward dog with my heels on the floor. I'm the least flexible person EVER! Except for my mom, who I obviously take after.

  3. More of this type of research should be carried out so that the actual health condition of the population can be known. This will help the doctors to know the health of the people very closely.

  4. Losing almost six pounds in such a short amount of time is great! I've lost four so far and have six more to go to meet my goal.

    Here's a little tip that might help you get your heels to the floor in down dog. One of my yoga instructors had the entire class do this one day and almost everyone got their heels down on the first try.

    Find some kind of pole or stick, even a broom handle would work. Sit on your knees and roll the stick over your calves several times. If you have tight calves, repeat as much as you want until you feel less tight. Something about this loosening your calves helps you get your heels down in downward facing dog.

    Let me know if you try it and if it works for you.

  5. good luck with your goals. i'm not flexible either--really tight hamstrings (or so i've been told...I like hearing that, it makes me feel like I have an excuse or even a disability to excuse my lack of suppleness which, in truth, is just laziness).

    bon courage!
    -The Paris Food Blague
    -The Paris Food Blague

  6. Interesting: being able to do DD properly was MY resolution LAST year. did it work?
    no it did not.

  7. Anonymous1/25/2010

    I know you're not one for running and I know that you know that I'm not either. But I just tried cross country skiing for the first time and went five miles easily. Great cardio and muscle toning for your entire body. As long as you're in Ames I know the Outdoor Rec. rents CC skis and I think there's groomed trails at River Valley and probably at the CC course, too.

    It's my mission to spread the word that CC skiing is a fantastic way to excersize and get outside in the winter. You should try it!