1.21.2010

The Best Ever Vegetarian Enchiladas - Recipe


Enchiladas are one of the mainstays in my cooking repertoire. I don’t remember where I learned to make them, my guess is sometime during the fall of 2003 when Jeff and I first lived together. Back then I made them with ground turkey.

These days I make them vegetarian style. They are so good and filling. And with a side salad of lettuce, avocado and cilantro to balance out the heaviness of the beans, well, I could eat these every day.

They are a little bit of work to prepare, but I get two meals and a couple lunches out of a 9x13 pan, so I figure it is time well spent.


I make everything but the tortillas from scratch. I know how to make tortillas, but there was a package of tortillas in the freezer that I wanted to use up. They are very convenient. 

The Mexican Red Sauce is adapted from The Moosewood Cookbook by Molly Katzen. The filling I usually just make up as I go along. This time ‘round it came out particularly delicious, so I thought it was blog worthy. I used yellow summer squash, mushrooms, black beans, carrots and some onion.

The Best Ever Vegetarian Enchiladas

Bold Bean Filling:

4 yellow summer squash, diced
2 carrots, grated
1 onion, diced
1 basket of baby bella mushrooms, sliced
2 tablespoons garlic, minced
3 cups of black beans, cooked and rinsed (from about 1 cup dry beans)
2 cups stock
Mexican Red Sauce:
2 cans of diced tomatoes (15 oz each)
1 can of tomato paste (6 oz)
1 medium onion, diced
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 cup water
2 tablespoons garlic, minced
10 borrito sized tortillas
1 cup of Mexican (or Jack or Cheddar) shredded cheese
Step 1: Start by roasting the veggies for the filling. In a 9x13 pan place the diced summer squash, sliced baby bella mushroom and diced onion. Pop them in the top shelf of the oven with the broiler on. Leave the door slightly ajar so the steam can get out. This will brown the veggies and add a roasted flavor while reducing the water content so the enchiladas aren't soggy. Becareful not to let anything burn. It should take 10-15 minutes and you will need to stir the pan about every 5 minutes.


Step 3: In a large pot over medium-low heat on the stove add the stock, black beans, garlic, grated carrots and roasted vegetables. Allow the pot to come to a simmer and keep stirring things together. It will take up to a half hour to reduce down to a clumpy mixture. Season with cumin, salt and pepper then set aside. The filling is ready to go.

Step 4: While the filling is simmering you can work on putting together the Mexican Red Sauce. In a medium sized sauce pan over medium heat sauté the onion in a little drizzle of oil. When the onion is transparent add the tomatoes, tomato paste, cumin, chili powder, and salt. Cover and bring to a simmer. Allow this mixture to cook for at least 30 minutes so the flavors meld.

Step 5: Assemble the enchiladas in a 9x13 pan. First pour half of the Mexican red Sauce into the pan and spread it around until it is evenly coating the bottom. Then take a tortilla and fill it with ¾ cup of filling, roll it into a burrito shape and place it in the pan with the seam side down. Fill all 10 of the tortillas and line the up in the pan so they all fit in one level. This may require some scrunching to get them all to fit. Then pour the remaining Mexican red sauce on top and use a spoon to smear it around. Take special care to make sure every part of the tortilla is covered in sauce. Exposed parts will dry out when baked. Sprinkle the cheese on top and cover the pan with aluminum foil.

Step 6: Bake the enchiladas at 325 degrees for 45 minutes. Remove them from the oven, uncover and let cool for five minutes before serving.

Step 7: Serve the enchiladas with a large salad, some fresh cilantro and a dollop of sour cream.

As the Pioneer Woman would say, “This recipe will make your skirt fly up!” Enjoy!


33 comments:

  1. Yum. I kind of hate enchiladas, but those sound scrumptious.
    Roasted veggies are pretty much the most delicious thing and make any recipe better - i might try fajitas with roasted veggies some time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, totally delicious looking! Any way you can make Mexican food a little more healthy to eat is fine by me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks absolutely delicious! I have been looking for a vegetarian version of this recipe so I will definitely be trying this out soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! These enchiladas look amazing - can't wait to try them~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks fantastic! I must try this:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous8/01/2010

    Looks delicious!yummy:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, these look delicious!!! I love the addition of the black beans.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks great! I have yet to try enchiladas, but your sauce sounds really good and easy enough for a weeknight, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Healthy, delicious looking enchiladas! Love the use of squash with the black beans.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum! I've only tried to make enchiladas once but the sauce wasn't very good. I'm going to try your recipe next time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look awesome. I am an enchillada LOVER and I'm pretty sure my husband would hardly even notice these are vegetarian. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My husband makes chicken enchiladas, but your vegetarian enchiladas would be another variation to try.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love vegetarian enchiladas, and yours look wonderful, I will try your recipe next time I make them, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't usually find myself craving vegetarian dishes, but this one looks delicious! I haven't made enchiladas ever before, and I think I'm holding onto this recipe to give it my first shot. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. These look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  16. These look really good! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love enchiladas; and with black beans, who needs meat! Thanks for sharing your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks great! My fiance and I are trying to get back into beach-body shape this summer, so this dish is perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yum!! I just tried enchiladas for the first time the other day - instant loveeee

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am such a huge fan of enchiladas! Summer squash and mushrooms is a combo that I haven't tried, though. It sounds delish! Are those corn or flour tortillas that you used?

    ReplyDelete
  21. I make several kinds of enchiladas and enchilada sauces, but there's always room for one more! I'll definitely give these a try!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I cannot wait to try these - yum!

    ReplyDelete
  23. It does look great, I love Mexican cuisine.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm on an enchilada kick right now so these look perfect!! The sauce sounds soooo much better than canned.

    ReplyDelete
  25. oh my gosh, these sound incredible!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. These look so incredibly delicious! Thanks for posting so many vegetarian dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oooh this looks great! I love enchiladas, but have never tried a vegetarian version!

    ReplyDelete
  28. These look fabulous! I can't wait to try them... thanks for the recipe. :)

    Cheers!
    Cinde

    Gluten Free Taste of Home:

    http://www.glutenfreetasteofhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. These look so good. I just love enchiladas and used to make them more often. Years ago, I made them vegetarian BUT now I make them with chicken or some type of leftovers. I love Mexican but for years my husband said he didn't like Mexican and my son wouldn't eat anything Mexican. Now my hubby goes out with some friends to an authentic Mexican place once a week so now he likes it. My son will eat a bit now too so I can make them.

    I agree that the first Moosewood Book had some great recipes - that sauce being one of them. In those days I was vegetarian and that book was my bible. So loved it. My copy is pretty beat up. Thanks for inspiring me to read through it again.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks for posting this. It looks like a great recipe for when you have a bunch of veggies to use up, as I often do!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Anonymous10/24/2011

    Has anyone tried this actually? There's no mention of cumin in the ingredients.How much cumin do you need?

    ReplyDelete