1.12.2010

Black Bean Burgers Round 1 - Recipe


In my mission to eat more sustainably I have begun making almost all our food from scratch. I have also cut out meat almost completely. My arsenal of recipes is now reduced. It's time to bulk back up.

I believe every good recipe arsenal should have a burger. Since meat is out I'm now on a hunt for the perfect black bean/vegetarian burger. My first attempt is from Guilty Kitchen. Her recipe is simple and she says that her and her family eats it at least once a week to lower their carbon foot print. Good for them. So I adapted her recipe like this:


Ingredients
2.5 cups of black beans rehydrated (1 cup dry)
1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
1/2 small red onion, diced
1 1/2 cups whole wheat bread crumbs (I used 2 ten grain rolls)
1 egg
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (contains fish)
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1/2 an ancho dried pepper, diced

Step 1: Put half the black beans in the food processor with the cilantro, garlic, onion, and egg.  Whir it around in there until it is well mixed.  Pour it into a bowl.


Step 2: Put breadcrumbs, Worcestershire sauce, cumin and ancho pepper into the food processor and whir that around a bit. Pour it into the bowl with the other bean mixture and the rest of the beans.


Step 3: Mix everything together and form it into 6 patties. I patted out the mixture onto my cutting board (about 3/4 inch thick) and used a round plastic container as a cookie cutter to make uniform patties.

Step 4: Bake the burgers on a greased cookie sheet at 375F for 25 minutes.

You could serve these on buns, but I didn't get around to making any. Instead I served them over a mixed lettuce salad with a dollop of plain yogurt and cilantro on top. For Jeff I melted some Jack cheese on top. For me I shredded some extra carrots on the salad. I decided it needed some dill pickle relish on top too. With a tangerine on the side you have a very healthy meal.

If you are keeping track of health info each patty has 166 calories, 2 grams of fat and 6 grams of fiber. That's 3 Weight Watchers Points each. I'm actually really surprised how healthy these are! They were a little dry, so I will continue on my quest for the best black bean/veggie burger.  If you have a good veggie burger recipe put it in the comments or send me a link!

Tomorrow I think I'll try making my own burger buns. Stay tuned! **Update** I forgot I am going to a sustainability conference tomorrow put on by the Iowa State Leopold Center.  I'm excited, but I won't have time to make bread.  I'll bake bread on Thursday. 


22 comments:

  1. Great blog - and those burgers look awesome!!! I have been on the lookout for a good bean burger recipe too :) I will have to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks fantastic! thanks for sharing the recipe!

    I'm new to your blog, but really love it! I'm looking forward to reading more ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks very tasty and healthy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks so easy. I always wanted to try to make veggie burgers but afraid they would fall apart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks really really good. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Could you freeze and mail some of those? Black bean burgers are my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look great! I love your photos... brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shoot. I don't have any cilantro. I may have to fly by the seat of my pants today, but I'm definitely making black bean burgers today!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice! I have yet to find a black bean burger I like... but I will have to try this, it looks great. In the meantime if you are still looking for veggie burger recipes, I have a killer one you should definitely try.

    http://whitneysamusebouche.blogspot.com/2010/07/holy-grail-of-bbq.html


    Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have I got a recipe for you. We make these awesome split pea patties a few times of year with just veggies and the peas. I'll dig it out and shoot it along. Way better than a meat burger.

    Jason

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks really great! I became certified in yoga last year and during that time, I cut out meat completely (it was very hard). Now I have cut back quite a bit. I will definitley try this! Thank you for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look amazing. I love black bean burgers and haven't had them in a long time. My question is - can I use black soybeans or are they too low on starch to hold the burgers together?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bean burgers, definitely a healthy meal. I'd love to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love black beans, and I love variations on veggie burgers, it's great that it's so healthy too!
    Gree

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mmmm... I love a hearty meatless meal from scratch, like this one! Gonna have to try it =)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I definitely want to try this recipe. How do you think the taste was, compared to a burger with meat?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Look wonderful. I made a black bean burger from Gourmet magazine a long time ago that was outstanding. It was the first time I'd ever had one and even though I'm a meat eater and love regular burgers, I was hooked. Great job on this too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love black bean burgers. This recipe looks good. We usually just wing it, and we have even added veggies and greens to the patties.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice work - those look great!

    ReplyDelete
  20. These look great! I'm curious—is this The Recipe for you? The look-no-further, this-is-how-black-bean-burgers-were-meant-to-be-made recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Foy, this looks like a wonderful burger! I love black beans, any beans really, and prefer to eat as little meat as possible. I'm always on the lookout for a great veggie burger. Must try soon!

    ReplyDelete