1.05.2010

Lentil Soup - Healthy Recipe



Okay so I was going to write about my new goals for 2010. Then I made this soup and spent some extra time trying to get nice photos of it.  So you will get a bonus Lentil Soup blog update and next will be some goal setting, I promise. 

Lentil soup is quick and easy to make.  This recipe was introduced to me by Jeff and I have made various version of it.  The only thing it has to have is lentils.  The original recipe calls for the addition of carrots, onions and celery.  I don't care much for celery and I hate to buy bunches of it and have it go to waste, so I usually just ignore celery when recipes call for it.  If you like celery, add three stalks diced when the carrots go in.  

In a large soup pot put a whole pound of dry lentils (one bag) add enough water to cover the lentils by two inches. Add a 1/2 teaspoon or so of salt and bring the lentils to a boil, then cover and let simmer.


This soup keeps really well!  I like to eat it for lunch when I have leftovers. 

I also recently did a little research where I wrote down the beans and grains I considered the most healthy and best soup bases and then compared their RDA and calorie to fat to fiber to protein ratio and guess what? Out of black beans, garbanzo beans, edamame, lentils and quinoa; lentils are the healthiest. They are the highest in protein, fiber, niacin, B6, foliate, iron and potassium. I love it when comfort food is also good for you.


1 pound dry lentils
½ teaspoon salt
1 large white or yellow onion, diced
6-10 cloves garlic, chopped
3 strips of bacon or a bouillon cube
3 bay leaves
2 teaspoons thyme
2 tablespoons parsley
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 carrots, diced
1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes
Salt and Pepper to taste

  1. In a large soup pot put a whole pound of dry lentils (one bag) add enough water to cover the lentils by two inches. Add a 1/2 teaspoon or so of salt and bring the lentils to a boil, then cover and let simmer.
  2. In a skillet sauté the bacon or bouillon with a large diced onion and 6-10 cloves of garlic, chopped. Add a little water if this start browning too quickly.  When the onion is translucent add the mixture to the lentils.  Also add a couple bay leaves, 2 teaspoons of dry thyme, 2 tablespoons of parsley and 1 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper. 
  3. Now dice 3 carrots and add them to the pot.  Let everything simmer together for about an hour or until the lentils have absorbed most of the water and the carrots are tender. 
  4. Turn the burner off and add to your lentil soup a 14 oz can of diced tomatoes, juice and all. Mix them in, then taste the soup and add salt and pepper as needed and you are ready to serve or store. 
  5. This soup keeps really well!  I like to take it for lunches with a whole grain roll and a side salad.  Enjoy!



I was surprised lentils were new to some of the people who came to the Italian dinner.  Some people had never had them before.   When did you first eat lentils?

4 comments:

  1. Sarah C1/06/2010

    I'm sure I probably ate then in my parents' Fifteen Bean Soup as a kid. But I didn't choose to eat lentils until I was looking for veggie soups in HyVee a year ago. I thought, "Hay! This sounds good."

    The home-made ones at the Italian Dinner were much better though. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am surprised that I did not eat them as a child because my mom was a healthy cook. I started eating them in canned soups and then began making my own lentil soup as an adult. My 4-year-old daughter loves making (and eating!) lentil soup, so I guess I started her young.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love lentils, they're probably my favorite legume. I grew up in South America where lentil were widely eaten, as were many other beans. I love lentil soup made with lamb, MMMMMMM.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh this is a great lentil soup recipe - thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete