2.08.2010

Cranberry Wheat-Oatmeal Muffins - Perhaps too Healthy

 
I used the old trick of typing the ingredients I wanted in my recipe into Google to find a recipe that used oats and cranberries in a muffin.  I came up with this recipe:  Whole Wheat Oatmeal-Cranberry Muffins.  I made them and I'm not that impressed.  I did switch the dry cranberries for chopped frozen, but other than that I followed it exactly.  (I chose the option of using a whole egg over two egg whites.  I hate wasting part of the egg.)

I had to make the applesauce because I didn't have any.  Well, I really just pureed and apple, but that got the food processor dirty. Then I had to melt the butter, soak the oats, and dirty two more bowls for the dry and wet ingredients.  This is a bowl and cooking utensil intensive recipe.  The sink is full of dirty dishes. 

The muffins rose very little.  The batter was too wet and the muffins absorbed the oil I greased the pan with and stuck to the sides.   The cranberries are tart and the base is very wheaty, which is to be expected from an uber healthy recipe like this one.  The texture is dense. As the muffins are cooling they are just getting heavier.  I was careful not to over mix as commenters suggested this could cause heaviness.  I think it is just the recipe.  It uses all wheat flour and oats.  In this case healthy got in the way of good flavor and texture. 

I wonder if this batter could be used for drop cookies?  I bet there is a great whole wheat, oats and cranberry cookie recipe out there somewhere.  And I bet it looks like that recipe, but with more sugar. 

I will chalk this one up to a learning experience.  I still have another cup of chopped frozen cranberries to experiment with.  These are the last of the ones I froze after Thanksgiving. 

11 comments:

  1. I have a pretty good "healthy" applesauce muffin recipe I'll try (emphasis on TRY... time...) to make this week and post.

    I have found that alot of the healthy muffins don't rise. It's tricky.

    P.S. Loved your apartment "list" on my blog. I wish we could be choosy. Alot of the things that would be on our list just isn't feasible unless you're ballin' in San Diego. Boo. :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have one for a cookie-ww flour dried cranberries oatmeal and pumpkin or sweet potato. I forget if I have ever posted it at Simply Food, but it should be on my personal blog somewhere. If not, I may still have to move it. It is fabulous. One of my favorites cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. there is such a thing as "too healthy" in recipes. i've found when i make something entirely free/with very little oil, or no sugar, it just doesn't taste good! a little bit of the stuff never killed anyone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm...too bad these didn't work out. They sounded fantastic! :*(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those look good! I can see that not working as a muffin recipe, but it looks like a perfect on the go baked oatmeal "muffin" I love the stuff..

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh no! so sorry they didn't come out great but they sure look and sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This reminds me of my latest crock pot experiment last night. Somehow I ended up with a ton of dirty dishes and in theory it sounded good but I got some down and threw the rest out. SUCH a bummer because I hate waste.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You might could use your cranberries in place of the blueberries in this recipe ... and you could probably add oats if you want ... If it works, let me know and I'll try it too ! I've been experimenting with healthy whole wheat muffins !!

    http://passthebeansplease.blogspot.com/2010/01/healthy-muffins-take-two.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous5/26/2010

    What??

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry it didn't work out great, but they sure do look very healthy to me. Let me try it out and will let you know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A healthy muffin! At last! Love the fact that they were made from oatmeal, looks yummy too!

    chiropractor Brunswick posture

    ReplyDelete