2.10.2010

Kitchen Sink Soup - An Extemporaneous Recipe

In an effort to use up the vegetables in the fridge I decided to make soup.  It turned out better than expected.  Nice and creamy - thanks to the immersion blender - and the wild rice and barely made it filling. 

I'm calling this Kitchen Sink Soup.  It's an adlibbed recipe, but here are the basics.  You need a good broth or stock, a starch like pasta, rice, beans, barley or couscous, then some veggies and seasonings.  Boil for a while, blend a little and stir.  Here's what went into my version:
  • Carrot, diced
  • Butternut squash, cubed (which completely disintegrated making the broth richer)
  • Mushrooms, sliced
  • Kale, chopped
  • Wild rice
  • Barley
  • Red pepper, chopped

For broth I used chicken stock and for seasonings I used bay, thyme, tarragon and marjoram. 
 
Have you ever made a delicious unplanned soup?  What did you put in it?

6 comments:

  1. beautiful shot of all the ingredients waiting to be soupified!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2/11/2010

    Excellent use of what is around. Cooking doesn't require recipes... you are just preparing food!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2/12/2010

    I just recently made one actually and it was very yummy. Ad-libbed soups are the best and a good way to use up ingredients before they go bad. I used a couple slices of bacon, venison, onion, mushrooms, escarole, stewed home-canned tomatoes and boy was it good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't good soup just the best comfort food? Just love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Throw together soups like this are always fun. I like the use of the wild rice in this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I make a soup like this at least once a week to ensure that I use all the vegetables that I purchased earlier in the week. I love that every week the soup is different. Yours looks excellent!

    ReplyDelete