2.09.2010

Roasted Chickpeas - Healthy High Fiber Snack Recipe

Roasted Chickpeas - Healthy High Fiber Snack Recipe

Roasted Chickpeas are crunchy little bites that remind me of wasabi peas with more substance. They have more fiber and protein than wasabi peas and they are baked as opposed to fried. They make an excellent afternoon snack.

I've finally given in to the roasted chickpea craze.  They are everywhere; on all the foodie compellation sites like Foodgawker and Photograzing.  However not all the directions are the same.  The temperature for roasting ranges from 360-450 F.  The time also varies from 20-60 minutes.  Plus there are as many seasoning options as there are recipes.

After browsing through all the online roasted chickpea recipes I could find (I literally have 10 tabs open and that's not all of them) I have decided on a plan of action. I will roast the chick peas at 300 degrees for an hour to dry them out and then roast them for an additional 30 minutes at 400 degrees to make them crispy. I am worried they will turn out too chewy in the middle if they aren't dried out first. I have not seen a recipe use this approach, but I know if I use a high heat for a short time to roast pumpkin seeds they would be chewy in the middle and that's not what I am after. I want crunchy garbanzo beans!

Just out of curiosity I compiled all the roasting temperatures and times on all those other recipes. Here's what I got:

350F for 40-50 minutes
360F for 40-50 minutes
400F for 30-40 minutes
400F for 30 minutes
400F for 25-30 minutes
400F for 30 minutes
425F for 30 minutes
450F for 30-40 minutes
Roasted Chickpeas - Healthy High Fiber Snack Recipe

And here are the seasoning recommendations:
  • Soy sauce and toasted sesame seed oil
  • Garlic and onion powder plus piri piri
  • Cumin powder, paprika, fennel seeds powder, sesame seeds and sea salt to taste
  • Rosemary, brown sugar and cayenne
  • Garlic powder, salt, cayenne
  • Granulated garlic, salt and pepper
  • Smoked paprika and garlic salt
  • Curry powder and sea salt
  • Smoked paprika and kosher salt
So you can make these up however you want.  I chose garlic powder and cumin with a dash of cayenne.  One of the recipes recommended salting after baking to get a more even roasting.  I assume this is because the salt will pull the water from the outer layer of the pea, leaving the inside unequally moist.  I want the heat to be the only thing driving water out.  So I'm holding off salt until the chickpeas have cooled. 

Roasted Chickpeas with Garlic, Cumin and Cayenne

4 cups of cooked chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/8 teaspoon cayenne hot pepper powder

Step 1:  Rinse and drain the chickpeas.  You want them as dry as possible.  Then spread them out on a cookie sheet (you want a cook sheet with sides) and drizzle the olive oil over the top.  Toss to coat.  Then sprinkle the seasonings on top. 

Step 2:  Bake the chickpeas at 300 degrees for 60 minutes.  Stir them around ever 15-25 minutes. 

Step 3:  Up the temperature to 400 degrees and continue baking for an additional 30 minutes until the chickpeas turn a nice golden color.  With the higher temperature you'll have to mix them more often, about every 10 minutes.  The chickpeas will get crisper as they cool so don't worry if they aren't completely crunchy when the time is up. 

Step 4:  Remove the chickpeas from the oven and allow them to cool.  Then sprinkle with kosher salt and they are ready to serve or stored in an airtight container.  They make a great snack or used as a garnish.
Roasted Chickpeas - Healthy High Fiber Snack Recipe

36 comments:

  1. Mine always end up chewy :( I'll have to try one of your cooking times!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love roasted chickpeas! such a great snack or salad topper

    ReplyDelete
  3. i've just recently heard about these and am so excited to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've actually never had roasted chickpeas but these look soo good! I have to try making them soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love these on our salads, or just as a snack! Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been meaning to make these for a while now! Thankyou so much for sharing some wonderful flavour ideas :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never seen despite all the posts you mentioned. I just made a chickpea soup so I know I'd love these.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. I call them garbanzo beans, but I like them. Are you saying you start with the canned garbanzo beans?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I rehydrated dried beans. I soake them over night and then boiled them until tender. Just make sure they don't boil so long they fall apart. I'm sure you could also used canned beans to the same effect.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been wanting these too! The first time I tried making them they turned out chewy and I was sad. I haven't gotten around to trying again... so... you can assure me your recipe will give me crunchies? :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for putting all the roasting and seasoning recommendations together. You did all the leg work for me :-)
    Did your method come out crunchy like you wanted?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Renata - The drying out for an hour at a lower temperature did make the chick peas crunchy. However the additional roasting time made them almost too crunchy. I cut ten minutes off the roasting time I tried for the final recipe. I didn't count on the chick peas becoming more crispy as they cooled.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks! I'm going to give it a try now. 1 hr at 300, 20 min at 400.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous3/02/2010

    Thank you for doing what I have been thinking of doing. You have saved me a lot of time.

    A relative of mine cooks the chick peas in a pan not in the oven.
    May be worth a try.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! You really researched this! Yours look great. I've only had them once, and didn't care for them; they probably weren't properly roasted. I do love chickpeas, so I'll have to give your method a try.

    Wouldn't these make a lovely hostess gift if packaged in a pretty way?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm amazed at what a versatile food chickpeas are. Thanks for interesting post with lots of facts.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've become a recent fan of chickpeas. I'll give this recipe a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are so great! I have never thought about roasting them, I am sure they are delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey thanks for sharing this recipe! I love garbanzos and this sounds delish.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm going to try these. Yum. Thanx for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for posting. What a great healthy snack idea. I'm going to try using the canned version and hope for the best!

    ReplyDelete
  22. WOW!! Thanks for the info I am going to have to try this out very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great idea, I had these at a local restaurant and have always wanted to know how to do this. Do you think that canned would work if you drained them first?

    ReplyDelete
  24. I , too, had not seen all the posts you mentioned--never heard of them even. They look fantastic and I want to make them! Thanks so much for compiling all the info and sharing with us!! YUM
    Roasted chick peas--Chick, YES PLEASE! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I have never even heard of these until now... I have trouble getting my kids to eat these... maybe i will try to sneak them in this way and see what happens....

    Love the pictures too...
    Trish

    ReplyDelete
  26. I like roasted chickpeas but cannot have to much. What a pity for me!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Funny how things from the Middle East take so long to get here but then are HUGELY popular (like hummus). I hadn't thought about this in decades, but now that I've read your post, I remember eating roasted chick peas a lot in Lebanon (in the late 60's). Except they were coated with salt the same way pumpkin seeds are. Very tasty, just very salty...kind of removes the health benefits. This looks much better and more flavorful.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I am looking forward making these tonight. I will post my recipe on http://cuceesprouts.com next week and let you know how these turn out!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I like your thoroughness in investigating chick-pea-roasting techniques. Well done! Thanks, Dan

    ReplyDelete
  30. Looks great! I'm definitely saving this recipe - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I made something very similar and absolutely loved it. This will be my snack of choice from now on. Here is my recipe http://cuceesprouts.com/2010/07/mission-statement/

    ReplyDelete
  32. One of my favorite snacks! So much better than any chip or crisp could ever be. =)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love chickpeas and often cook them. I love the idea of having them as a snack. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Many years ago I made a Weight Watchers recipe of spicy roasted chickpeas and it came out just awful. Maybe it was the temperature, maybe it was the seasonings, I don't remember. Just awful. These look delicious. I love your seasonings. I may just try this. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thank you so much for doing this research!!! Your website is great! I didn't expect to find an answer when I searched for an answer to the right temperature and cooking time. I'm going to make some tonight and can't wait! Thanks again

    ReplyDelete