Baking with Duck Eggs - The Best Ever Chocolate Chip Cookies - Recipe

Jeff's specialty is chocolate chip cookies.  He makes the perfect cookie with a soft middle and crispy sides.  His secret?  He uses room temperature butter.  Not enough heat to turn it into a liquid, but nice and soft; about 30-50 seconds in the microwave.  Then he mixes the dough by hand. 

This time 'round I talked him into using a duck egg.  (For more about my recent foray into duck eggs along with ideas and recipe click here.) He used one duck egg in place of two chicken eggs.  These may be the best chocolate chip cookies ever.  The extra protein and fat in duck eggs is supposed to make them extra good for baking.  I think I'm a convert.
I had three chocolate chip cookies for a snack after work with a cup of tea.

They were good.  

I'm sad they are gone. 

If you want to try them here's Jeff's recipe:

The Best Ever Chocolate Chip Cookies - Made with Duck Eggs

2 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup salted butter
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 duck egg
2 cups (12-oz. pkg.) Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
1/2 cup old fashion rolled oats
Step 1:  Preheat the oven to 375° F.

Step 2: Mix flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl. In a large bowl beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract until creamy. Add duck egg, beat well. Gradually stir in the flour mixture. Stir in chocolate chips and oatmeal. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets.

Step 3:  Bake for 9 to 11 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.

Yields: 36 cookies

Nutrition: Each cookie has 123 calories, 8 grams of fat, 0.5 grams of fiber, 2.5 grams of protein and 6 grams of sugar. 


  1. You should perhaps try the less evil and not-food shortening made by Spectrum. I mistrust oily pastes that have a bunch of wierd ingredients.
    But that's just me ;)
    and i'm an oatmeal cookie kinda person.

  2. What a great idea to use a duck egg. Not even sure where I would get one other than at the farmers market...

  3. This looks delicious! YUM! I have never used duck eggs before! Too cool!

  4. PS - have you heard anything about cooking with goose eggs? We plan to get two in a few years and will need to figure out something to do with their massive eggs.

  5. Didn't notice yet if you are on twitter? Quite a few of the bloggers in NW Indiana are and use the #nwindiana search to find and communicate with each other. Hope to see you there too. The recipe sounds great, can't say I've ever had anything with duck egg in it.

  6. I must admit that I am a little intimidated when it comes to using duck eggs. Kind of strange really?!

    1. I have both ducks and chickens and prefer to eat the duck eggs. I love the yolks. I eat them everyday. I don't think mine are rubbery at all. My ducks roam the property, eat weeds and bugs including red ants. They play in their pools and are locked up with the chickens at night. I eat them in any dish I use chicken eggs.

  7. How cool! Duck eggs? I'm so impressed. Are they a whole lot bigger than regular eggs? I'm wondering why he used one in place of two regular eggs?...

    My husband LOVES choco chip cookies.

  8. I never really thought about crisco. It's what grandma used. Perhaps I'll go look at the ingredient list...

    1. How'd that turn out? Are you still using Crisco?

    2. Many years later and we have a good source of local, pasture raised lard so the recipe is now half lard, butter in the same amount. We haven't bought Crisco in years, but we do still use this recipe!

  9. i'm intrigued about using duck eggs now! do you recommend somewhere to get them?

  10. nice recipe.....i'll try it.....

  11. Came across this page googling for ideas for duck eggs. :) I think I'l try this recipe -- although I agree with avoiding Crisco (hydrogenated processed crap that it is -- your grandmother used it because that's the generation that it was first marketed to: http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2012/04/how-vegetable-oils-replaced-animal-fats-in-the-american-diet/256155/)

    I think I'll actually try it with 1/2 real butter, and 1/2 duck fat! ;)