3.11.2010

First Flowers of Spring: Snow Drops, Witch Hazel and Aconites

Spring is peaking out from under the fallen oak leaves here at Taltree Arboretum and Gardens. I took a little walk around Taltree and looked at the Welcome Gardens and Pavilion Garden today. It’s the first time I walked around like a visitor. Well, not quite like a visitor, I had a species list in hand and in the back of my mind I was noting things that will need work sooner rather than later.

In just about every bed I found the earliest spring blooms.

Witch Hazel (shown above) is one of my favorites. This is Witch Hazel ‘Superba’ (Hamamelis mollis). It has such beautiful sunset colors and it has a spicy fragrance.

Around the pavilion yellow buds of aconite (Eranthis hyemalis) are poised to open. One more warm day and we’ll have sunny little flowers.


The last spring ephemeral I came across was this cluster of snowdrops (Galanthus nivalis) .

Proof that spring is on its way.

5 comments:

  1. Yes, proof that Spring is arriving. Awesome photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are so pretty. I love spring and starting up my little container gardens of herbs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pictures! Sounds like you're beginning to settle in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a very nice place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i had no idea that's what witch hazel looks like, awesome! love all the pics

    ReplyDelete