3.30.2010

Hot Cereal Three Ways

I have never liked hot oatmeal. I know, I know, it's soooo good for me. But it's the texture, gooie and smooshy and not appetizing! I don't care how much honey and jelly and dried fruit and yogurt is mixed in, I don't like it. But I'm not giving up. There must be some version of hot cereal that I can enjoy eating.

I bake often with seven grain cereal and old fashion rolled oats. They are in my cupboard right now. This morning I decided to make the recipe on the back of the seven grain cereal package. I only made half the recipe. Basically 3 cups boiling water add a little salt and 2/3 cup dry cereal, reduce heat cover and mix occasionally until all the water is absorbed.

Then I looked at my favorite healthy food bloggers and looked at how they eat their hot cereal. The most common ways were: with a little peanut butter and honey, with some sort of fruit and yogurt and with pumpkin puree and cinnamon.  In an effort to find a way to eat hot cereal that I like I made a sampler breakfast of Hot Cereal Three ways. Jeff and I tried butternut squash cinnamon, Greek yogurt with raspberry puree and one with a dollop of peanut butter and honey.

Here's my review:


I didn't like the yogurt added in, it just made it slimier which didn't help the cause.

I did like the raspberry. This is some of the last of the raspberries that Jeff's grandma froze. I added a little honey to sweeten it up. It made the seven grain cereal hot pink. I can think of some little girls who might enjoy a naturally hot pink breakfast.

I didn't care for the squash and cinnamon. This is a huge thing in the fitness blogs these days. They all love their oats and pumpkin. Well I don't get it. I love squash and pumpkin puree, I'll eat it with a spoon, but I think I'll pass on it in my hot cereal.

The clear winner for me was the peanut butter honey combo. It brought out the naturally nutty flavor in the hot cereal. I still could only eat about a half cup, but it was better than the others.


After our little breakfast sampler experiment I still had a cup or two of cooked cereal. So I'm making some bread; a variation on the Oatmeal Molasses Bread that I love from Earth to Table. This one is Seven Grain Brown Sugar Bread. I'll fill you in one the recipe tomorrow. Here's a little sneak peak to wet your whistle:

19 comments:

  1. My mom doesn't like oatmeal either. She compares it to baby vomit. So we don't talk about oatmeal anymore.

    Maybe you'd like some other grains? Like quinoa with fruit or honey? It seems like you could get really creative with it, if you care to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh your photos are gorgeous! I love your idea to make a sampler platter! I must say that I like my oatmeal fairly plain - just with a little honey or PB for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't care too much for old fashioned oats (except for baking in bread) but am completely hooked on steel cut oats, also known as Scottish oats or Irish oats. They've almost got a chewy, toothsome texture to them if that's what you're looking for rather than slimy and smooshy, and being whole oats chopped into pieces, are still very healthy and "sooooo good for you" ha ha. I get mine from a local co-op for $0.89/lb and my favourite way to have them is with peanut butter and a little honey as well.
    - Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah the peanut butter honey one would be my favorite too. At least you're still trying. My problem is that I could eat more than one serving and it doesn't hold me over so I end I end up eating way too many calories. I think my favorite is the nutella and peanut butter but that will have to be a very rare splurge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, Foy. I think the real key here is in getting the cereal itself to be yummier and less slimy in the first place. For toppings i really prefer just a little agave nectar or honey and maybe some banana chunks. but for the cereal itself i either use overnight soaked steel cut oats, or whole wheat berries (sometimes a mixture of wheat and buckwheat grouts). I throw about half into my coffee grinder to blend down a bit, not total dust, just broken down. and toss the blended with the whole berries into a jar with enough water to cover them and maybe some whey. next morning i cook that with some raisons until the whole berries are soft to my liking - maybe up to 10 minutes, not usually that long.
    the blended grains smoosh around some to hold it all together, but the whole grains have a nice texture that breaks it up and pops in the mouth. it's good. try it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous4/04/2010

    I am the same as you - or I was... THEN, I realized that there is no law that when I eat a bowl of oatmeal, it has to be mostly a bowl of oatmeal. I make a pot of steel cut oats on Sunday evenings and then every morning make a bowl that is about 50% fresh fruit (usually mostly banana, recently with strawberries tossed in) and 50% oatmeal (adding milk if needed to thin the oatmeal). Sometimes I add teh fruit before I microwave it so it's sort of cooked - and sometimes I add it after so it's cool and fresh. THEN - this is crucial - I top the whole mess with a layer of grape nuts, which add wonderful texture so that every spoon can have a texture other than gooey/fruity. My favorite combination in the winter is peanut butter, banana, and dark chocolate chip. SOMETIMES when I am having a bad morning or it's gloomy out or it's a day of the week ending in "y" - I put WHIPPED CREAM on top. Oh my word. I used to drizzle a bit of fresh cream on top but that's stupid when there's whipped cream in the world. yum.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love oatmeal. i eat it for breakfast very often! i always enjoy trying different types of toppings for my oatmeal. i usually just add fresh fruit, nuts, and honey, but i'll have to try these.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've got to try steel cut oats, it makes all the difference. Delicious with maple syrup and fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the peanutbutter combo! The empty bowls pic is what its all about. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I eat oatmeal every morning, and oddly enough it is with peanut butter! Raspberries do sound like they would be good as well! Great post :)!

    ReplyDelete
  11. To me oatmeal is comfort food, because my Mom used to make it and put fruit and chocolate chips in it. She always said that you had to eat breakfast, and I still do. I usually put raisins, or craisins, or fresh fruit in it, Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great variations of oatmeal. Love them all.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hot oatmeal, no way. Oatmeal cookies, and granola, yes way.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm with you on the peanut butter topping. Will try that the next time I remind myself to eat more oatmeal!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm a huge fan of oatmeal, but I totally get the texture thing-- it's like me and whipped cream. I like the raspberry puree idea!

    And I'm not surprised the peanut butter and honey version was the winner-- it's one of my favorite ways to eat oatmeal, also. Topping it with granola or cereal helps give it a little texture, if you're looking to give the mush a little crunch. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. My boyfriend hates oatmeal too because of the texture. If you don't like it, you don't have to force yourself! There are a lot of other fiber-filled breakfast options.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Foy,
    Have you tried millet? It's dryer than oatmeal; in fact, it's often eaten in place of rice in China and has more of a rice texture than an oatmeal texture. It's a grass seed, and very good for you (gluten free too). You toast it first in a bit of oil then cook it with water. We like it with home-made apple butter, grapes, dried cranberries and almonds. I'll probably post about it soon on my blog.
    --Stephanie M at Together In Food

    ReplyDelete
  18. Interesting post, I really love the bread! I will eat oatmeal no matter how it is made, I just love it. Have a great weekend and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  19. Kudos to you for testing these out -- love the photos!

    ReplyDelete