3.24.2010

How to Cook with Parsnips - Recipes and Ideas


Have you ever tried a parsnip?  What do think of them? 

They are a close relative to carrot, but they have a creamier texture when cooked and more of a celery flavor.  You can roast them, mash them, or put them in a stew. 

Parsnip is a vegetable that is harvested after the first hard frost in the fall.  The frost actually makes the parsnip sweeter.  If you don't harvest your parsnip in the fall you can leave it in the ground all winter and then as soon as the ground thaws in the spring, dig them up.  Here's a growing guide for parsnips if you are interested. 

This is a parsnip that was in the ground all winter. The estate where the founder of Taltree lives has a kitchen garden and they dug theirs up last week.  When I was offered a parsnip I accepted it gladly.  It was delicious and sweet.  Jeff made it into a lemon curry with tempeh - a variation on this recipe

Here are some other exciting recipes using parsnips:



8 comments:

  1. I discovered parsnips last year when I was on a kick of trying veggies I'd never tried before, and I freakin' LOVE them. Just bought some yesterday. I like to roast them with other root veggies (boiler potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, beets and/or turnips)-cube, parboil, drain, toss in olive oil, salt, papper and roast on a baking sheet until brown and crisp on the outside, tossing a couple of times during cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! I discovered the roasted vegetable medily from Giada when we were researching Italina Cooking. Love it. Sometimes I throw in some Brussels sprouts too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love parsnips, but the photo... is of another world. It looks like a painting. So precise and elegant. It's hard to believe it's a root! GREG

    ReplyDelete
  4. Parsnips are my favorite veggies!!! I put them anywhere possible :D My absolute love is parsnip soup with chorizo and I enjoy them in a very simple way too - just roasted with honey mmmm :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely adore parsnips. I like to roast them with other root veggies or use them in soup.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've NEVER had parsnips. I can't even remember ever seeing one. I'm really excited to give them a try. I enjoy root veggies. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Points for "roast them, mash them, stick em in a stew"!

    It got my attention!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My Mom said her Mom used to make Fried Parsnips all the time when she (my mom) was a kid (though Mom never made them when I was growing up...) So I started making them a few years ago...though I haven't made them for quite a while now.

    My husband, a formerly picky eater, totally loves them.

    Haven't grown them before though...

    ReplyDelete