3.29.2010

My Favorite Spring Bloom: Squill

Squill (Scilla siberica) are such a lovely color and so dainty. They are blooming in the Welcome Garden at Taltree. The yellow in the back ground are miniature daffodils. I am enjoying this colorful spring flower combination.

Squill will naturalize in an area and reseed themselves. One of the most beautiful examples of this is The Knoll on Iowa State's Campus. For a week or so in spring the lawn of The Knoll is sprinkled with little blue flowers.  Squill is beautiful planted into turf grass. (This might be the only time I admit there is something nice about turf grass.) The squill will bloom before the lawn needs mowing and by the time it needs to be mowed this spring ephemeral will have retreated back to its bulb. When planting keep in mind they cannot tolerate high foot traffic.  

1 comment:

  1. Wow - what a gorgeous flower :) And your photo is so beautiful :) I would print and frame that first photo if I was you :)

    ReplyDelete