3.22.2010

Rustic Leek and Potato Soup - Vichyssoise - Recipe


The French have a fancy name for leek and potato soup: vichyssoise. Pronounced "vee-SHEE-swas" or something like that. This is a simple creamy soup that you likely have all the ingredients on hand except maybe the leeks. It is worth the trouble of picking up some leeks on the way home to enjoy this warming soup on a gray day like this. It may be March, but winter isn't done with us yet.

This soup can be served all chunky and delicious or pureed for a more sophisticated finish. Either way have a loaf of crusty bread and some sharp cheese ready to serve with it.


Rustic Leek and Potato Soup - Vichyssoise

4-5 lb of leeks (about 3 large)
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
5 1/4 cups chicken broth (I used Better than Bullion paste)
1 bay leaf
1 3/4 lbs red potatoes (about 5 medium), peeled and cut into 3/4 inch cubes
Step 1: Clean your leeks well. Leeks are grow best in silty soil and the grit gets between the tight leaves. Here's a tutorial on how to get your leeks squeaky clean. Then chop the leeks into 1 inch slices.

Step 2: Heat the butter in a large pot over medium heat. When the butter starts foaming add the leeks. Stir to coat and increase the heat to medium, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the leeks are tender but not mushy, 15-20 minutes. Do not let the leeks brown. Sprinkle the tablespoon of flour over the leeks and mix it in. Allow a couple minutes for the flour to dissolve.

Step 3: Increase the heat to high; whisking constantly, gradually add the stock (or equivalent bullion and water). Add the bay leaf and potatoes, cover and bring to a boil. Reduce until the potatoes are almost tender, 5-7 minutes. Take the pot off the heat and let stand covered for an additional 10 minutes. Discard the bay leaf and season with salt and pepper to taste.

Step 4: You can serve the soup now and enjoy the chunks of potato and leek or you puree it for a smoother texture. An immersion blender is the easiest option or you may batch the soup through a food processor or blender. Another option would be to blend part of the soup so you get the creamy broth and the chunks - so many options. Don't forget to take out the bay leaf before pureeing. I forgot and I had a couple spoonfuls with twiggy little bits. Oops.

Leek and Potato soup will store a couple days in the fridge or freeze for several months. When reheating be sure to warm gently, do not allow the soup to boil. Boiling will cause curdling.

17 comments:

  1. I am a huge fan of potato leek soup! also how did the suck egg shepards pie turn out???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by Northwest Indiana Politics recently, I have added your blog to my NW Indiana bloggers RSS feeds.

    If you use twitter, best recommendation would be to use #nwindiana to reach into the region thought stream. Many of us are very active therein.

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmmmmmh....
    You have stunning pictures!!!!
    Not to mention, I absolutely adore leeks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful pics, I'm sure that soup was delicious!! I can't wait for the cooler weather to come, I miss making soups! Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore vichyssoise and your version sounds very satisfying. I often add a little fresh thyme into the soup for an extra layer of flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks so good, I just picked some leaks from the garden and will have to try this. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My son made this soup for us a couple of times already, and it was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love potato leek soup. It has become a tradition for us to make it for Christmas Eve. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum and so very delicious! I want to dip that bread right into this - love the post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely pictures!! I have never had this recipe, but as I sit in my chilly San Diego weather it looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Delicious soup. Would love to have some (=

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been wanting to try vichyssoise for a while now. Love this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum, this looks like a great recipe! This is one of my favorite kinds of soups to make in the winter time, I actually started adding mushrooms with a tiny bit of truffle oil to it to change it up a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds amazing. I need to try growing my own leeks next season. Leeks at the grocery store lean towards the expensive side of things.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'll save this for cooler weather! It's been in the 90's here forever! I've never made leek soup, but I can't wait for fall.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I thought vichyssoise is supposed to be served cold. My sister, the gourmet, made it many years ago from Mastering the Art of French Cooking and insisted that Julia said to eat it cold, so we did, and I didn't like it cold. I was a teen and didn't understand how anyone could eat cold soup. Not now. I have eaten 2 kinds of cold soup in the last month.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is my favourite go-to recipe right now! I also use the recipe from the Julia Child cook book. So delicious, but simple. I like the pureed version too. I might try that next time!

    ReplyDelete