4.21.2010

COCHON 555 - Should I Stay or Should I Go?

This afternoon I got an email saying the first five responders would receive tickets to the COCHON 555 event in Des Moines. I looked at the time stamp, more than two hours ago. Probably not going to win, but I responded and low and behold they happened to have a pair of tickets left for me and a guest. I win!

Then I read the details closely. The 555 stands for 5 Chefs, 5 Wineries and 5 Pigs. Five heritage breed pigs will be butchered and made into one big porky night of eating. Pork everything pared with delicious local wines and brews. Basically an event where you get to wander to different stations of food and wine for a whole night. The point is to raise heritage pig awareness and get people to request and buy heritage pork more often. That's a cause I strongly believe in. Plus who doesn't want five great chefs (including Lincoln Cafe's Matt Steigerwald) to make five great meals to sample? At the end the meals will be judged and the winner will get to compete in the Food and Wine Classic in Aspen, Colorado this June.

Then I looked at the date I originally thought it was in June, but that is the Aspen finales. It's this weekend. Here's the question. Do I try and get time off drive 12 hours round trip to go to this one event? Or I could try and do it without time off and be at work at 7:30 am on Sunday. It seems a little ridiculous, but what a cool event.

What do you think, should I stay or should I go? Opinions please! ASAP I have to respond by Thursday afternoon. Help!

7 comments:

  1. Wow - a 12 hours round trip seems like a lot to me. Especially at short notice?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You only live once...I say do it! That event sounds amazing and it's an event to also raise awareness about an issue you really care about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude. go. just do it. leave early if you're bored. or call in a few hours 'sick' in the am. hope your bosses don't read your blog.
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just think of it like you did the Peace Corps. Put everything else you do aside for a bit and go do it! Take lots of pictures and be sure to blog about it after, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sigh! We didn't go. It was just too last minute and crazy. Plus we are over budget on luxury items already and the gas to drive for 12 hours is a luxury. It's an annual event, so perhaps next year?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did Mom go? Tell me someone used those tickets!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I would have seen this! I would have screamed for you to go!! I will meet you one day!! :D

    ReplyDelete