4.24.2010

Healthy Happy Banana Muffins - High Fiber, Low Fat Recipe

After my last couple of muffin attempts were a little richer than I want to eat for an any day breakfast. Miranda came to the rescue and offered up her Banana Muffins Recipe. I had to try it. I bought organic bananas and diligently let them get all brown and spotty on the counter. Today I mixed up her muffins. They were quick to put together and they did indeed puff up and look very muffin-y. There is no oil and no sugar added to this recipe. I think next time I make them I'll add a couple tablespoons of honey.


The best part is they meet my nutritional requirements: low fat and high fiber. One muffin is 130 calories, 3 grams of fat and 3 grams of fiber for a Weight Watchers Point value of 2! Excellent, this is what I was looking for in a muffin! If you are looking for a healthy snack or breakfast this is it. Enjoy!

Healthy Happy Banana Muffins by Miranda

3 large bananas, well ripe. (last time I used four bananas and just increased all other amounts by 'a little bit' and had to cook another 5-10 minutes.)
3-4 medjool dates pitted and chopped (not part of the original recipe, but I think they are what make these so freakin' delicious)
1 bigish egg
1 teaspoon cinnamon (I combine straight cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 1/2 cup wheat flour (I've used both just regular whole wheat flour, and flour I've freshly ground from dehydrated, sprouted whole wheat.)
1/3 cup applesauce (you could sub butter per the original recipe, but why!?)

Step 1:  Mash naners, add cinnamon and egg - beat it a little. Add apple sauce and mix. Top with the dry, mix together, mix into the wet. Fold in dates. 

Step 2:  Plop into muffin tins - you can make them small or big. They will puff up. The last two times I've filled the tins all the way and got very nice, muffiny looking muffins. Bake at 375 for 20 minutes.

Last time I added some chopped pecans and shredded coconut for variety. SO GOOD. but had to cook a little longer.

13 comments:

  1. Whoohoo! I was waiting for you to post the recipe. These look fantastic! I am ALWAYS looking for healthy, delicious recipes. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that girl down south4/25/2010

    I will have to make these they look awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha. You know, you didn't need to leave in all my silly Mirandisms. Glad you enjoyed them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look really good! I think I will try a gluten free version.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy Buckets...I'm walking to my kitchen right now to make these! They look delicious! Thanks for sharing! I found you from TasteSpotting. Congrats on making their site!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i "frosted" them with peanut butter...SO good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just found your site .. i am making these right now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love to bake, and am always excited to find these kinds of recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello there! Another perfect recipe! This will definitely be in the must do list of recipes for the coming weekend. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love these. Wishing we had these for breakfast now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous11/20/2011

    I made these, and they taste great, but they really stuck to my muffin liners. :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. Re: Muffins sticking to liners:

    I usually don't use muffin liners. Instead I lightly grease the muffin tin. If you want to use liners, try lightly greasing them right before you put the batter in.

    Good Luck, Foy

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm about to whip up a batch of these myself! Very excited.

    ReplyDelete