4.19.2010

The Simple, Healthy, Packable Lunch – Chalk Full Greek Salad with Bread and an Apple – Recipe

I need to eat lunch. I’m not one of those people who can just skip meals. If I skip a meal I get mean and surly. And if tired happens to be thrown in the mix then you might want to avoid me. This means I need to pack a lunch to take to work at Taltree. Recently I've been taking leftovers or making large vats of soup. However, the weather is warming up and soup isn’t as delightful. It’s time for a new plan. I need a filling yet healthy lunch. This is what I’m thinking:
  1. Big salad
  2. Fresh fruit
  3. Serving of bread/rice/noodles

I don’t mind eating the same thing all week so I’m going to put together five days worth of lunches at once. This week I’m making myself big organic lettuce salads with carrots, mushrooms, cucumber and peas. To add some heft to these salads I’m adding a slice of feta, a couple olives, a couple teaspoons of balsamic vinegar and one teaspoon of olive oil. Add an Arnold’s Multigrain Sandwich Thin and an apple and I think I should be set. This gives me a lunch I don’t have to refrigerate or reheat and it has lots of veggies, fiber and flavor. I am hoping it’s enough to keep me from turning into a ravenous fiend at the end of the day.

I calculated the nutrition of this lunch and it comes out to the list at left, which is about 7 Weight Watchers points.  (I'm aiming for something around 22 points a day which is what I would need, as a female under 150 pounds, to be eating to maintain my ideal weight.  That means I should very slowly be losing weight.)  This lunch pared with a decent breakfast should be enough to keep me going until dinner. 

I still plan on having a small snack after work, I just need to figure out what that will be. Stay tuned for the next post where I find delicious after work snacks that won’t ruin my healthy eating and hold me over until dinner.

7 comments:

  1. What a lovely looking lunch! Have you considered adding more protein to the salad too....like tuna or beans or tofu? I find it helps me feel fuller for longer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa,

    I should add more protien. I'm thinking more along the line of beans. I don't eat tuna or large ocean fish. I've seen the devistation of over fishing in Panama. I also don't eat shrimp for the same reason. It's tasty, but I'm not willing to pay the price environmentally.

    I just rehydrated some giant white beans. I think I'll throw those on tomorrow's salad.

    Foy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love putting black beans, nuts and goat cheese in salads! Chicken breast too, but I don't know if you eat meat.
    My latest salad has roasted zucchini and sweet potato with goat cheese and it is SO good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The lunch looks so tasty!

    Some protein will make you feel fuller for more hours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Food/LabelingNutrition/FoodLabelingGuidanceRegulatoryInformation/InformationforRestaurantsRetailEstablishments/UCM153464.pdf

    This is a link to a PDF published by the FDA with the nutrition facts of commonly purchased fruits. Not that apples are bad or anything, but I wanted to point out that melons, berries, kiwi and citrus are much richer in nutriets. I love fruit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sure they are better, but they are more expensive. I have a $2 a pound limit on fruit! Although with the recent surplus of strawberries we've been eating those a lot. Eventually there will be fresh local fruit and we can go out berry picking. There are goose berries, wild grape, raspberries and mulberries growing wild in the garden. Plus some of the planted trees like the crab apple, service berry and paw paw should all produce fruit. Some of those are jelly type fruit so I'll have my work cut out for me.

    How's your fruit availability up in MN?

    Foy

    ReplyDelete
  7. notAnn4/24/2010

    How do you keep your salads fresh for the entire week? When I did this, around day 3 stuff would start to wilt, and by day 5 it was inedible.

    ReplyDelete