4.20.2010

Sour Orange Poppy Seed Muffins - Healthy Wholesome Recipe


So after a long day of work I come home and want to eat the moment I walk in the door. Most of the time I am actually hungry, but partially it is the ritual of coming home from work. I come home from work I sit down, put my feet up and have a salty snack and beer, then I wonder what's for dinner.

I am working to break myself of the after-work beer. It's an expensive unnecessary habit (but there are so many new local brews to try!) . Now beers are only for unusually crappy work days and the weekend. Although I did have one cold one last night, but it was a stressful night.  We just paid more money to have the car fixed. Yuck.

So what shall I eat if not pretzels and a beer? I need something yummy and quick and light. You know what fits this bill? Muffins. Well not those carrot muffins I made this week, but this rift on lemon poppy seed muffins is excellent. I used sour oranges off a tree in the green house at Taltree. Aren't they cute?  But you could use lemon or lime juice.  The original recipe calls for lemon juice. 

These muffins are about 200 calories, 8 grams of fat and 1 gram of fiber.  That's 4 Weight Watchers Points.  Not bad.  Good for breakfast and snacks. 

I bought a bunch of marked down organic bananas that were very dark yellow with lots of brown spots.  The plan is to try out some of the banana muffin recipes that Miranda and Sarah have been sending me.  Anyone else have some very healthy muffin recipes I should look at?

Sour Orange Poppy Seed Muffins
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cups brown sugar
1/2 cups oat bran or seven grain cereal
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup skim or almond milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
3 tablespoons freshly squeezed sour orange juice (or lemon)
2 tsp sour orange zest (or lemon)

Step 1:  Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray an 8 x 4-inch loaf pan with cooking spray and set aside.

Step 2:  In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, oat bran, poppy seeds, baking powder, and salt.

Step 3:  In a medium bowl, whisk together milk, butter, egg, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until dry ingredients are just moistened.

Step 4:  Spread batter in prepared pan. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until loaf is light golden brown and a toothpick in the centre comes out clean. Cool loaf pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes.

Step 5:  Remove loaf from pan and cool completely on rack. Cover with plastic wrap and store at room temperature OR the fridge (sometimes people enjoy chilled lemon bread).

5 comments:

  1. That is one beautifully moist looking muffin!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm guilty of the after work drink, too. Sometimes it's a cold beer, but most often it's red wine. In fact, I'm enjoying a glass as I type this. It certainly does relieve stress, but you're right- it can be expensive and not always necessary. (but today it is very necessary!). Your muffin pictures look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look really cool! I wish I had access to exotic citrus fruits! Mmm!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How lucky that there's a sour orange tree at Taltree!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, nice muffins. That little orange is called a calamondin where I live. There is tree upon tree of those 'round these parts...
    Hope you break your beer habit. I'm trying to be better about red wine-very expensive indeed!

    ReplyDelete