5.31.2010

Chilled Ripe Cherries


Summer is here!  I found my first cherries at the local grocery store.  I'm not sure where these are from, but aren't they pretty?  To me summer is three foods:  sweet corn, tomatoes and cherries.  These little beauties are just a sign of what's to come.  A perfect addition to our Memorial Day menu which also includes some sweet corn from Florida as well as the first local tomato from the Chesterton Market which was babied along in a hoop house. 

I considered what to do with the cherries, but there is no need for a recipe.  To enjoy these summery fruits simply wash and chill.  Put the cherries out in a pretty bowl and include a second bowl to hold the stems and pits.  Delicious.

This photo made the Foodbuzz Top 9 on June 2, 2010. 

13 comments:

  1. I love cherries too! When we lived in Portland, Oregon we had a neighborhood cherry tree for all to pick from. Miss those days. Your photography is beautiful by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cherries, my favorite fruit. And I agree with you about summer foods. Corn and tomatoes, I won't even eat them before June. Getting my first corn today. Tomatoes still from Mexico so gotta wait a bit for those.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marinka5/31/2010

    Beautiful picture, great fruit and I cannot agree with you more "eat them fresh"

    ReplyDelete
  4. loving your photography skills!!!

    jenn from www.passion4food.ca

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love love love cherries. One of my favourite things to do is lay in bed with my cats and eat cherries while I read a good book. We didn't have any that looked appetizing at the market, but we picked up strawberries and raspberries. Can't wait for the cherries!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love cherries so much! But it is a long time until they come into season again here :( I will just have to live vicarioulsy through you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful photo, the cherries look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just made an amazing mango custard tart with a graham crust and put some of this season's first cherries, halved, on top of the tart. Cherries are always so delicious and complimentary! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful picture! Looks almost like a still life painting. Cherries are delicious, and you're right; no recipe needed they are perfectly wonderful on their own :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that picture! Love it! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're so right. I did the same thing with a basket of blueberries recently - wanted to use them in a spectacular recipe, but ended up eating handfuls straight from the fridge. I love this photo too. Bravo! Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just love the photo! We've got a cherry tree in the back yard. I love this time of year! Just had cherries for breakfast...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful photo! Hope to find some cherries soon :)

    ReplyDelete