5.07.2010

Egg, Ramp and Goat Cheese Pizza


A friend procured some wild leeks, also known as ramps, for me.  I repaid with a couple of morel mushrooms I knew were hiding nearby.  Ramps are a member of the allium family and have a nice mild onion flavor.  They are a little more forgiving on the pallet than say the potent wild onions we've been eating.  Since pizza was already on the menu Jeff cut up a couple leeks and paired them with creamy goat cheese and, the strangest pizza topping, one raw egg. 

The egg idea came from Smitten Kitchen who has an egg breakfast pizza where right before putting the pizza in the oven a couple eggs are cracked on top.  I was curious so we decided to try just one egg on the pizza.  The conclusion?  Eggs are excellent on pizzas!  Make sure to sprinkle the egg with a little salt and pepper before you put it in the oven.  The egg cooks while the bread bakes and the cheese melts.  Plus it looks pretty and gourmet.  I can see making topping combinations with eggs like: onion, bacon, prosciutto, asparagus, mushrooms or salsa for a juevos rancheros flavor.  Too bad I didn't think of that for Cinco de Mayo!

This post was submitted to YeastSpotting.

11 comments:

  1. Wow, this looks delicious. I am so drooling right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm making pita pizzas tonight & now I want an egg on mine! It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw something similar to this in a Bon Appetit issue last year I think, and I have been wanting to try it ever since! I guess it is about time to give it a go. ;) Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM. I love trying pizzas with toppings other than sausage and pepperoni on them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow this looks awesome! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great! Did you use any sort of pizza sauce or just the egg?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a delicious pizza; love the crust and the topping is unusual but so good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I think I'll try this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been seeing posts for pizza all over the place and now I'm dying for it! Soon......

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whoa that pizza is beautiful! And it's rare that I say that about a pizza. But wow.

    I love putting eggs on top of things, especially things you wouldn't typically put eggs on. It really adds a little extra something, don't you think!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow!! What a gorgeous pizza.

    ReplyDelete