5.19.2010

Johnny Jump Up Spring Salad - Recipe


Johnny jump ups add some fun and color to this spring salad.  I harvested some mescaline mix lettuce out of the kitchen garden and helped myself to some johnny jump up (viola) flowers while I was at it.  Yes, these are edible flowers.  They have a slightly sweet flavor, but really are just for pretty.  In the spring I like to keep my salads light.  I might add some grated carrots, peas, chives, jicama and goat cheese.  To dress, I think a nice simple oil and balsamic vinegar dressing will be perfect. 

This little salad would be lovely for a dinner party, wedding brunch or lunch in the garden.  Tonight we are enjoying it for dinner with catfish and sweet potatoes. 

7 comments:

  1. ooh how lovely! I have never eaten viola flowers before - do they have a nice flavour?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous. It would definitely be perfect for a wedding or bridal shower brunch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats such a pretty picture! Almost too pretty to eat! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this, very beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks almost too pretty for a food blog! I can hardly believe that is edible and not a beautiful centerpiece.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks very lovely and refreshing.

    ReplyDelete