5.17.2010

Peanutbutter Molasses Cookies - Recipe

Which is better the blue plate or the yellow plate?  I could't decide so I put up both!
It doesn't matter what color plate you eat these cookies on, they are delicious! I love a good peanut butter cookie. I was browsing foodgawker while hungry - never a good idea - and saw some peanut butter cookies. So I decided to make some. Now I already have the perfect peanut butter cookie recipe, but I thought I might tweak it a little by replacing the brown sugar with molasses. I thought to myself, "This will be a perfect duo! The naturally nutty flavor of molasses will compliment the peanut butter." And it does. What I didn't expect is the darker, very ginger snap, almost chocolate color. Isn't it pretty?


Peanut Butter Molasses Cookies

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup organic peanut butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup dark molasses
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/4 cups unbleached all purpose flour

Step 1: In a large mixing bowl beat the room temperature butter and peanut butter until smooth. If you are starting with cold butter, you can microwave it slightly until soft, but don't liquefy it. Add the granulated sugar, molasses, baking soda and baking powder. Beat till combined, scraping sides of bowl. Mix in the egg and vanilla until combined. Stir in the flour. If necessary, cover and chill dough till easy to handle.

Step 2: Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Roll in additional granulated sugar to coat. Place balls 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet, flatten by making a crisscross pattern with the tines of a fork. Bake in a 375 oven for 7-9 minutes or until bottoms are starting to brown. Transfer cookies to a wire rack and let cool. Makes about 36 cookies.

Nutrition per cookie: 83 calories, 4 grams of fat, 0 grams of fiber.

I think I like the blue plate best.

15 comments:

  1. Sounds great, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the yellow plate... and the cookies too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to try these. I love Molasses cookies!

    PS- I'm partial to the blue plate :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea! I'm glad to meet another hoosier on food buzz!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I like the blue plate better, but as you said, it's not terribly important. Cookies, however, are always important. I would make these RIGHT NOW if only I had butter. It may be worth it to walk to our old apartment and get some so that they can be done by the time Robert gets home from work. Hmmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Speaking as someone who is IN LOVE with panut butter at the moment - these look divine!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just love peanut butter cookies...I have never tried with molasses, but it sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Peanut butter and molasses sounds pretty good to me! I love homemade cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I usually like higher contrast, but, in this case, I choose the yellow! I like the idea of adding molasses. Great things happen when you tweak the "perfect" recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love sorghum molasses. I'll try this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Adding molasses is a brilliant idea! What a yummy sounding cookie!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Interesting combination. I like the darker colored cookie that it makes. I hope you will share these at my holiday cookie exchange: http://www.tumbleweedcontessa.com/blog/2012-cookie-exchange-cookies-and-memories/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your Peanutbutter Molasses Cookies look delicious! Have a great weekend and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete