6.19.2010

Balsamic Corn and Black Bean Salad - Healthy Recipe


This is the best summer salad.  I love it because it is vegetarian, light and healthy. It is the perfect dish for a potluck or picnic.

Balsamic Corn and Black Bean Salad

8 oz whole wheat rotini noodles
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
6 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 cups black beans, rehydrated, drained and rinsed
2 cups grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
2 cups sweet corn kernels
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
1 ripe avocado
Juice of 1/2 a lemon

Step 1:  Cook pasta according to package directions until al dente. While pasta cooks, in a small bowl whisk together vinegar, garlic, oil, salt and pepper to taste.  Set aside.  Drain pasta and rinse briefly under cold water.

Step 2: In a large bowl put the pasta, beans, corn, tomatoes, green onions, chives and cilantro.  Toss gently.  pour dressing over pasta mixture and toss again.

Step 3:  Drizzle a little lemon juice over the top and serve warm with a slice of avocado or refrigerate for an hour and serve cold.

Yield: six large servings.

Nutrition per serving: 346 calories, 13 grams fat, 11 grams protein, 50 grams carbohydrates and 10 grams fiber.  That's 7 Weight Watcher's Points per serving.

18 comments:

  1. OMG yum!! This looks so healthy and fresh ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! This looks so good. Perfect for the changing season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this kind of food-- exactly the stuff I eat on a normal basis-- simple, healthy and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great dish...perfect for summer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautifully fresh and all around gorgeous looking salad. I am glad you posted this because I am in charge of making salad for our BBQ this afternoon and I am going to make this and knock everyones socks off! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delicious! It's got all the important food groups in a bowl - this would be a perfect lunch for me, all by itself :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm... this looks like a yummy combination! I love eating things and feeling like I did my body good!

    Jessie
    http://www.themessiekitchen.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. We love pasta salad in our house. Your version looks like it has a great range of tastes and texture, while giving a good hit of protein with the black beans.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks lovely. We really enjoy pasta salads. You might like this one, made with a caramelized onion vinaigrette.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Saw your profile on Food buzz. Look forward to following your wonderful blog here. Love the corn salad.

    Be Well...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum, I don't normally care for pasta salad, but the sweet tartness of the balsamic sounds so good to me right now. I'm going try this. I need cold food, since it's so hot here right now.
    Thanks Foy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks yummy! I like healthy salad recipes, thanks for sharing this one!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ok, in spite of the fact that this looks amazingly healthy and good for me, it also looks very yummy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks fantastic. The balsamic is a nice surprise in this otherwise Tex-Mex salad!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very healthy and sounds delicious. Can't go wrong with corn and black beans

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yum! This has all of my summer favorites in it! I'm a sucker for pasta salad, but I always cheat and use a store-bought dressing. I really need to suck it up and just buy the vinegar.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That looks fantastic. I could lock myself in a room in the summer and eat sweet corn until, well forever~

    ReplyDelete