6.21.2010

Frittata with Wild Onion, Potato, Goat Cheese and Thyme - Vegetarian Recipe


** I looked at this post on my work computer and holy cow is that frittata glowing?  This is one of the problems with doing PhotoShop on a laptop. If you do make this frittata it will not be florescent I promise.  Note to self: maybe only bump the saturation up just 5% instead of 15%.     

Frittatas aren’t just delicious for breakfast and brunch, they also make delicious filling dinners. This frittata is loaded with spring onions, potato, goat cheese and thyme. We usually do an egg as a main dish meal once a week. Eggs are good vegetarian protein. Plus we get our eggs from a farm house with a sign out front declaring "Brown Eggs $2.00". The hens are free range and organic in all ways but having the official paper work.

Easy Cucumber Tomato Salad
This is a great recipe to showcase amazing eggs. If you have the eggs, you probably have everything else on hand. Feel free to substitute sharp cheddar or any other strong flavored cheese if you don't have the goat cheese.

In the spring asparagus is a lovely side or and in the summer a Tomato and Cucumber Salad is refreshing.  

One of the biggest problems with frittatas is that they get over cooked and the egg gets rubbery. Cook's Illustrated suggests half cooking the frittata on the stove and then finishing it in the oven. It works like a charm. Just make sure you have a skillet that can go from stove to oven.

Frittata with Wild Onion, Potato, Goat Cheese and Thyme

2 medium red potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1/2 cup wild onion (or regular onion) diced
2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped
1 ounce goat cheese
1/4 teaspoon black pepper, ground
6 large eggs, slightly beaten

Step 1: In a sauce pan bring a couple cups of water to a boil; add a teaspoon salt and the potatoes. Reduce heat and simmer until the potatoes are just tender. A fork should go in without breaking the potato, but it shouldn't fall apart either. Drain the potatoes and set them aside.

Step 2: Adjust the oven rack so it is in the upper middle position. Then preheat the oven to 350.

Step 3: In a 10 inch skillet heat the butter until foamy. Put in the wild or spring onions and sauté them until limp and glassy. Then add the potatoes and thyme and toss to coat them in butter. Spread them in a single layer on the bottom of the skillet.

Step 4: Mean while mix the thyme, salt and pepper into the eggs.

Step 5: Pour the egg mixture into the skillet and dollop the goat cheese on top. Allow the frittata to cook a little until the edges start to set 1-2 minutes. Tilt the skillet to ensure the egg is evenly distributed.

Step 6: Pop the frittata into the oven for an additional 2-4 minutes or until the top is just set. Then remove the frittata from the oven and run a rubber spatula along the edge to loosen it then invert it onto a serving plate.

Frittatas can be served warm, room temperature or even cold depending on your preference.

Yields: six servings

Nutrition: 165 calories, 8 grams fat, 2 grams fiber, 9 grams protein

27 comments:

  1. oh that looks delighful! Only last night I was saying to Mr BBB that I think thyme is my all time favourite herb!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great on my laptop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love frittatas. This looks wonderful and I can't wait to try it. Thanks for sharing the recipe and the gorgeous pictures. (Personally, I don't think they need any enhancing!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh this looks wonderful great flavors in here

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a big fan of Thyme and I love this frittata! During the summer I use to eat frittata also for lunch, at room temperature with some green salad: gnumm! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks really yummy and delicous

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have the same trouble with photos-I can't seem to get them just right, so I always end up skipping the saturation adjustment.

    Either way, your frittata looks great! Perfect for any meal of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was just complaining about the same thing while editing photos on my laptop! The saturation of the photo depends on how much the screen is tilted away from me. The frittata still looks delicious, though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree that best food is home grown! I just can't eat store-bought strawberries let alone vegetables, they are so tasteless.
    Luckily we have a big garden at home.
    Thanks for the friends request!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aren't eggs the best ingredient in the world?

    ReplyDelete
  11. A Frittatta is the perfect meal. And I agree about the saturation issue.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks fantastic! I have not made a Frittata but this may be my inspiration to try it. Exceelent recipe.
    albert grande
    pizzatherapy.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a ton of lemon thyme growing in the garden, and it just so happens that I have some leftover cooked potatoes and a wee bit of delicious goat cheese that needs to be used. I guess I know what I'm making for dinner tonight, huh? :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mmmmm, looks so yummy;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your frittata sounds incredible. I love the addition of goat cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Goat cheese on frittata is always super delicious! I love what you put together, it sounds sooo yummy. Mm.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just suggested some Sauvignon Blanc pairings at the Ancient Fire Wine Blog. http://www.foodbuzz.com/blogs/2377277-a-dish-made-for-sauvignon-blanc

    I love frittatas and even though this one has mushrooms (something I am still warming to) I'll take it!

    Funny on the photo. I think it glows because it is soooooo good.

    Jason

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your frittata looks positively scrumptious. I wish I had some now!

    ReplyDelete
  19. that looks great, i don't mind a glowing frittata!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I agree, perfect for dinner...This looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I agree, I can eat frittatas for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello, I haven't had any chance to say thank you for being an online friend on Foodbuzz. Thank you :)

    What a talented cook you are. This look superb!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Foy.. I really loved this post, and I made it (a much less cool version) for breakfast. Blogged about it here: http://domocakes.blogspot.com/
    I love your recipe and I'm sure to make it again! (and next time i'll make sure to follow your recipe more closely! hee hee)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Looks great! Love your blog! Came it blog on foodbuzz & am a new follower!
    - Jessica @ http://cajunlicious.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Looks wonderful. I made a fritata a few months ago but I have to say it was utterly boring compared to this.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Isabel Marant and additionally kkyyttssddfsafafda him / her his conversation Jér? tory burch colleen platform boot
    others Dreyfuss experience prepared trend most of the succeed, decorating a fabulous cult outfit tier (him / her) and additionally up-and-coming gear tier.

    ReplyDelete
  27. sdfsdfsdfdsfsdfsdrrww
    A lot of people explained that they can chosen these kind of skinny jeans in Elle Macpherson. That they feel that your Isabel Marant skinny jeans go well with Drew’s fashion adequately plus the tie up absorb dyes moves adequately using your ex bohemian fashion, nevertheless your ex various other equipment create your clothing way too occupied, along with these kind of skinny jeans are generally excellent automatically along with needs to be the concentration in the clothing! Probably these are appropriate, isabel marant cleane boots nevertheless every single gentleman features the hobbyhorse, My spouse and i even now like these kind of Isabel Marant skinny jeans in Drew Barrumore along with your ex set is ideal many people feel.

    ReplyDelete