6.28.2010

Spicy Shitake Mushrooms and Edamame Soba Bowl - Vegetarian Recipe



On the top of my stack of magazines is a Vegetarian Times from March with a beautiful Soba bowl on the cover.  Soba is a type of Japanese noodle made from buckwheat that looks a lot like linguini.  These noodles can be served cold or hot.  I love soba noodles.  They are much tastier than ramen, but not quite as tasty as wide rice noodles.  However, I'd been looking at this cover for weeks, ehem, months now.  I decided I must try making a soba bowl.  I didn't even open the magazine.  Instead I went directly to FoodGawker and TasteSpotting for some inspiring blog posts.  Mainly this one from Smitten Kitchen and this one from Two Blue Lemons.   And I set out to make my own version of a vegetarian soba bowl. 

I came up with a delicious combination.  Although I did manage to over cook the noodles.  No worries, to prevent this problem all it takes is rinsing the noodles in cool water before tossing them with the stir fry. 

I choose the combination of shitake mushrooms, cabbage, carrots, edamame and onions in a delicious spicy soy ginger sauce.  It was just enough heat to be able to feel it, but not so much the other flavors got lost.  This recipe is flexible; feel free to substitute in broccoli or snow peas or bell pepper. 

The best thing about this recipe is once you've got the ingredients chopped it comes together very quickly. 

Spicy chili sauce:

1/3 cup water
3 tablespoons cup soy sauce or Tamari
2-3 teaspoons hot-chili sauce (like Sambal or Sriracha)
1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons vegetable bullion
2 teaspoons sesame oil
1 clove minced garlic
1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger

Soba noodles:

2 inches fresh ginger, minced
4 cloves of garlic, minced
10 oz fresh shitake mushrooms (any mushroom would work)
2 cups cabbage, sliced
1 cup red onion, sliced
1 package soba noodles
2 carrots cut into matchsticks, about 2 cups
2 cups frozen shelled edamame

cilantro
peanuts
egg (optional)

Step 1:  To make the sauce put all the ingredients in a medium sized bowl and whisk to combine.  Let it rest a couple minutes so the brown sugar has time to dissolve.  Meanwhile, chop the vegetables and heat a pot of water to boiling for the soba.

Step 2:  In a large skillet saute the garlic and ginger in a bit of oil.  Add the cabbage, carrots, mushrooms and onion.  Saute until the cabbage is just starting to soften (2-4 minutes).  Then add half of the sauce and continue sauteing with the vegetables until the sauce has reduced and there is very little liquid left. 

Step 3:  Once the water reaches a boiling, drop the soba noodles and edamame into the water.  Cook according to the noodles directions until al dente, about 8 minutes.  Then drain and rinse the soba noodles and edamame under cool water.  Toss the noodles with the remaining sauce.  Then put the stir fried vegetables on top.  Garnish with cilantro and crushed peanuts.  For a little extra protein serve with a fried egg on top. 

Serve this dish hot for dinner and take the leftovers to eat cold for lunch the second. 

Servings: 4

Nutrition:  430 calories, 6 grams of fat, 6 grams of protein, 6 grams of fiber for a total of 8 Weight Watchers Points.  (Information does not include egg)

18 comments:

  1. I absolutely love a good noodle bowl, and I've got some soba at home just waiting to be consumed. I'm just a little sad we didn't make it to the market this weekend to pick up some fresh snow peas...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yum! Looks gorgeous and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That fried egg looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love edamame!!!! I add them to everything! (really only the things I eat. I don't share them)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect dish! Beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
  6. mmm, i love soba noodles! this looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like a fabulous meatless meal, especially since anything with a fried egg on top can't possibly go wrong in my books (OK, except maybe dessert... but otherwise, egg is good).
    It just so happens that I have most of the ingredients kicking around the house already... Can't wait to try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so yummy and healthy at the same time. I love shrooms !

    ReplyDelete
  9. As a vegan, I gotta say no to the egg, but the rest looks wonderful!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This soba bowl looks so tasty and healthy. great post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Will not say no to this bowl of healthy noodles.

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh yum! this looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I never thought to stir fry Soba noodles. Looks and sounds like a dream lunch (or dinner). Thank you for posting this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is a gorgeous picture and I'm sure it's absolutely yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow fantastic dish and a delicious picture! Do you use Seapoint Farms edamame?

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks so good...my toddlers love soba noodles... I bet I can make this a wee bit less spicy

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love using mushrooms as my main ingredient. This recipe would definitely help inspire new ideas on how to prepare mushrooms. I like it a little bit spicier. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've made this several times and it's excellent. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete