7.04.2010

Baigan Bharta (Indian Eggplant Curry) - Healthy Vegetarian Recipe

Baigan Bharta is a curry dish from India. The main ingredient in roasted eggplant. It's a light and healthy meal but yet filling and delicious. That's a combination doesn't come along very often.  Oh, and it's easy to make. You do need to allot some time for roasting the eggplant, but even that doesn't take very long. 

Gharam Masala is a spice blend found in Indian cooking that generally includes coriander, cumin, black pepper, cloves, cinnamon, bay leaves, mace, fenugreek and nutmeg.  You can often find this spice blend in the ethnic section of the grocery store or in with the bulk spices.  Or if you are so lucky to have an Indian grocery in town, they will surely carry this staple of Indian cooking.  There is some variation in the spices and proportions used.  And if you are really hard up you can substitute curry powder. 

Gharam Masala is usually not a hot spicy mixture.  We are going to add a green chili to the Baigan Bharta to bring in the heat and then temper by serving with a dollop of plain yogurt.  The green peas add a burst of brightness and the lime and coriander leaves (which by the way are simply cilantro) keep the flavors clean.  Served over a half cup of brown rice, delicious!

Baigan Bharta Curried Indian Eggplant

1 eggplant, medium
1 cup green peas
1 onions, chopped
1 14 oz can of chopped tomatoes
1 green chili, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
1-2 teaspoons Garam Masala powder (or curry powder)
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
Salt to taste

To Garnish:
Chopped green coriander leaves (cilantro)
Sour cream or plain yogurt
Lime wedges

2 cups cooked brown rice

Step One: Brush eggplant with oil and roast it on a gas burner over medium heat. Frequently turn the eggplant, until fully roasted. You could also broil it in the oven.  Once done, hold it under cold running water or in a bowl full of water. Cool it and peel off the blackened skin. Mash the flesh.

Step Two: Heat oil in a pan or skillet . Add green chili and onion and fry over medium heat until light golden brown.

Step Three:  Add red chili powder, turmeric powder, garam masala and salt and stir. Add tomatoes and cook until tender.

Step Four:  Add green peas and mashed eggplant. Stir well. Fry for 5-7 minutes over medium heat.

Serve: over half cup brown rice, garnish with a lime wedge a dollop of yogurt, coriander leaves and serve hot.

Baigan bharta makes excellent leftovers, I might even argue it is better the second day. 

Yields four servings 

Nutrition:  (Calculated with 1 tablespoon low-fat yogurt and half cup brown rice) 290 calories, 12 grams fat, 7 grams fiber, and 7 grams protein.  That's 6 Weight Watcher's Points per serving.

29 comments:

  1. ouu never tried idian curry eggplant before!! must be good! im an eggplant lover! :)

    jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh nice spices. I will have a fried egg with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE Baigan Bharta! It is one of my favourite dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooh this looks like my kind of dish :) Thankyou for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks good! My dad makes this and it is yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks really good! something I can do with the eggplant in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cilantro = coriander leaves?? Mind blowing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks very tasty! One of my favorite Indian dishes:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like your blog! I found it while looking for a good black bean burger recipe. I am following you now! Check my blog out when you can :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. We do Thai curries with eggplant all the time, but I don't know that I've ever created an Indian variation. Love the thought of this... and am stowing this away for the peak of eggplant season!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am always up for a new eggplant recipe! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm going to be cooking another Indian meal this week and finally writing up a blog on it, after 4 weeks or so of cooking differen things, but I haven't yet gotten to eggplant. I hope we get some in our CSA share so I can put this spin on it!

    Jason

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks lovely! In an Indian dish, even my boyfriend will eat eggplant :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks like an absolutely delicious and healthy meal! I love Indian curries and eggplant. I have a jar of "Indian Curry Powder," do you know if that differs from Garam Masala? I'm thinking it will taste great in this recipe.

    Thanks! Love this blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just finished making this. I love Indian food and cook it almost weekly so I spun it a little.

    I added a second green chili and only used 1/8 tsp of chili powder. I used leeks instead of onion since I had them in our CSA share. The tomatos were fresh cut, also from the share. I added garlic and ginger which I normally use in any curries I make. I used the full 2 tsp of Garam Masala to give it that aromatic punch.

    I just tasted it and it is wonderful. Spicy to be sure, but I love it that way.

    Thank you so much for a great recipe to use some of my fresh veggies.

    Jason

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh this looks heavenly! I have an abundance of eggplant to use up now- so this is very timely! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. My family favorite. It is absolutely delicious curry !

    ReplyDelete
  18. Baigan Bharta is one of my favorite Indian dishes - thanks for posting!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. My fav dish! I make it the same way...looks sumptuous

    ReplyDelete
  20. Eggplant and curry :) need to try it! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love eggplants and have never tried this before. Sounds simple enough. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I used to say that I hated eggplant, but have since realized that it's not true. I love eggplant if it's cooked properly. Since I also adore curry, I imagine that this is a match made in heaven for me. I've not had much experience in Indian cooking, so thanks so much for sharing this. I'm looking forward to making it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. My autumn resolution is to try and eat vegetarian food a couple of times a week. This sounds like the perfect dish to try.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Interesting twist on a common Indian recipe (including the peas and all). Another thing that's also quite common in North Indian food is a special type of yogurt called "boondi ka raita". Raita means "yogurt" and boondi (an item available at most ethnic food stores). The yogurt is mixed with milk so it's not so thick and the boondi is soaked in hot water for several minutes (to make it soft) and then squeezed. There are many variations to the "dish". My favorite is the way my mom used to do it with chopped cucumbers/tomatoes/onions and some salt/pepper. However, some people just go ahead and add the typical blend of indian spices (garam masala, turmeric, etc). I don't know, just something to try with your baingan bharta if you feel like it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Another great recipe, Foy! I like that you have been offering vegetarian recipes. As a vegan, I would not include the dollop of yoghurt. I would substitute vegan sour cream or IMO (if I can find it). Perhaps some small dishes would be offered with the curry, so a cucumber dish could give the cooling effect that yoghurt has. Perhaps you could think of something else? Cheers, K.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This sounds like a dish that even the kids will love - I've been introducing them to eggplant in different ways and so far they like the "fries" but this sounds great, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. What about some coconut milk in here???

    ReplyDelete