7.20.2010

Baked Sweet Potato Fries with a Sour Cream Salsa Dip


I love sweet potato fries, but I don't own a deep fat fryer and that's probably good because this is surely the conversation I would have with Jeff, "Hey honey, do you think you can deep fry corn on the cob?  What about green beans?  We could bread them first."  And then we would try it and then I would have to donate all my clothes because they would no longer fit.  And I'd have to shop for new ones and I really want a new camera so I can't spend money on clothes right now.  So you see I had to figure out to make sweet potato fries with out a frier. 

Turns out fried fries are about twice as many calories and four times the fat of baked fries.  After researching through my cookbooks I found a sure fire way to make crispy sweet potato fries in the oven.  This recipe is adapted the Baked French Fry recipe in the New Best Recipe Cookbook from Cook's Illustrated. It creates a delicious, soft on the inside, crispy on the outside sweet potato fry.  Serve them up with the sour cream and salsa Mexican influenced dip and call 'em dinner.  Or if you must, serve them as a side dish, but be aware they may just steal the show. 


Sour Cream Salsa Dip

1/2 cup low fat sour cream (or plain yogurt)
2 tablespoons salsa
1 teaspoon lime juice

Step 1:  Mix the sour cream, salsa and lime juice together.
Step 2: Chill and serve topped with diced green onion. 
  
Baked Sweet Potatoes

3 medium sized sweet potatoes
5 tablespoons canola oil or peanut oil
Salt and Pepper to taste
Cayenne pepper if you wish to heat things up a bit

Step 1:  Peel the sweet potatoes and cut them into long strips.  Make sure to cut them into evenly thick slices so they all bake the same. 

Step 2:  Soak the sweet potato strips in hot tap water for 10 minutes.  According to Cook's Illustrated, "The water introduced during soaking improves the creaminess and smoothness by working its way between the strands of gelatin and starch.  The final result is a fry that has a good surface crunch married to a smooth interior." 

Step 3:  Preheat the oven to 475 degrees F.  Meanwhile coat a heavy baking sheet with 3 tablespoons of oil and sprinkle evenly with salt and pepper.  Set aside.

Step 4:  Drain the sweet potatoes and using a clean towel, pat them dry.  Toss the sweet potatoes with the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil until coated.  (Add a little cayenne here if you like.)   Arrange the fries on the cookies sheet in a single layer.   

Step 5:  Cover the baking sheet tightly with foil and bake for 5 minutes.  Remove the foil and continue to bake until the bottoms of the sweet potatoes are golden brown, about 15 minutes.  Flip the sweet potatoes over and brown the other side for an additional 10 minutes so both sides are evenly brown. 

Step 6:  Remove from the oven and place on a plate with a paper towel underneath to absorb the excess grease.  Serve immediately with ketchup or the sour cream salsa dip above.   

Yields: 3 servings (about 8 oz each)

Nutrition:  This is calculated assuming all the oil is part of the dish, which it isn't.  A lot of the oil is left on the pan or absorbed by the paper towels. So consider this a worst case senerio:  200 calories, 5 grams of fat, 4 grams fiber and 4 grams of protein. 

That's 4 Weight Watcher's Points per serving.

40 comments:

  1. Wow! The fries look delic. I'm going to have to try those. I don't own a deep fryer for the same reason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great step by step approach! I totally overcooked my sweet potato fries the other night - not happy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yummy on that dip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the sweet potato fries..somehow they always seems so much less guilt inducing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks really yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks delicious! sweet potato fries baked are my favorite way to enjoy fries, probably because i don't feel guilty about how many i eat afterwards!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for this I have tried a few baked sweet fries recipes and none seem to hit the nice crisp outside I like in a fry. This looks like it may be just what I need. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks great and so healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I LOVE sweet potato fries and that sauce sounds fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just so lovely..Thanks for the tips. I am going to have to try this out. I love sweet potato fries, but have never tried them at home. That dip sounds deadly good.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love sweet potatoes too! And the Sour Cream dip is a perfect match. Um fried corn? LOL. By the way, you don't need a frying to fry stuff. You can use a large pot too. Uh oh, I hope I didn't give you any ideas? Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great idea to bake the fries! I'm with you, I totally could not resist the temptation to fry everything in sight if I had a real fryer. That dip looks great, too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow this is healthy and delicious! Will try it when I get some sweet potatoes! Thanks for sharing:D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yum, I heart sweet potato fries and I also like the sour cream dip you made to go with!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks like you were successful at getting very crispy friess–I look forward to trying your method.

    ReplyDelete
  16. How funny - i just made some sour cream/salsa dip and oven fries.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Brilliant! I love sweet potato fries, but I rarely indulge because deep frying pretty much cancels out any health benefits they might otherwise have had.
    I've never quite managed to duplicate the crispiness in the oven, though... can't wait to try it your way to see if I can finally get sweet potato fries without a side of guilt! :) (Speaking of sides, that salsa sour cream sounds wicked good)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm with you on the subject of owning a deep fryer, very dangerous since pretty much everything fried tastes too good! The sweet potato fries are one of my favorites and I like the way you prepared them, the dipping sauce looks yummy too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, this sound wonderful! I recently tried to bake tortilla chips, didn't turn out so great, but I will try this for sure. The dip looks good too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love me some sweet potato fries.

    A favorite restaurant of mine serves them with chipotle mayo, which we started making at home.
    Get a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. Fish out a pepper or two, dice, and mix with lime juice and mayo to desired consistency and spiciness. Plain yogurt in place of mayo would probably be a healthier option.

    And the classic Buckley's option: with dijon mustard.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you for including the points! (Though I assume that doesn't include generous dipping in the sour cream?)

    I also like SP fries with a honey-dijon dipping sauce, or with maple syrup and nonfat yogurt w/ pecans crumbled on top.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great recipe. I prefer oven baked sweet potato fries too. Your dip sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm SO glad you said something about the majority of the oil staying in the pan instead of on the fries! They look fantastic and I love the dipping sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  24. These look yummy... I wish i had some on hand to make right now...=-(

    ReplyDelete
  25. This looks amazing. Now I'm hungry. Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  26. sweet potato fries are definitely a favorite at my house =] thx for sharing this looks great

    ReplyDelete
  27. Mmm, I love sweet potato fries! I think I'll be giving this recipe a shot...Thank you for sharing!! And your camera seems to be fine as it is--your photos look lovely :)

    http://madewithlove-t.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have to try this!! And sweet potato fries are so often soggy, but yours look really crisp.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love the sour cream dip. I kind of have a similar method for potato fries, but had no idea about leaving them in the water first. Thanks for your post.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Foy,

    Those baked sweet potato fries look Delicious! I am definitely going to try them!

    http://angie1129.wordpress.com

    -Angie

    ReplyDelete
  31. Always enjoy your posts! Not only beautiful, helpful and useful but so well done! Can't wait to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  32. A ha! You may have discovered the secret to getting baked sweet potato fries to crisp up!!! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  33. YUMM! Love sweet potato fries! Can't wait to give this recipe a try!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love sweet potato fries... we all love them at our house and I am always looking for a new dipping sauce. Somehow you need the sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  35. These look amazing. Another great way of making oven fried foods crispier is to put a baking sheet in the oven at 425 for a few minutes, then put the SP on the sheet pan and bake as usual. It has helped a few times. I will try this version. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love this one! I want to try the salsa. It really looks so nice and delicious. This version is something really worth trying.

    ReplyDelete