7.28.2010

The Best Ever Bruschetta - Healthy Summer Tomato Recipe


Summer is not officially here until I make broschetta with real tomatoes.  And when I say real tomatoes, I mean the kind I pick fresh off the vine and are still warm from the sun.  The kind that never, ever get refrigerated.  Fresh tomatoes and basil served over grilled bread might be my favorite meal.  Maybe an ear of sweet corn and a peach for dessert to round things out.  Can it get any better than this?  I love summer.  I love the fresh produce it brings.  And the first tomatoes, before there are so many you don't know what to do, are the best. 


The Best Ever Bruschetta
3 cups of the most local tomatoes you can find, diced
3 tablespoons of garden fresh basil, chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
6 slices of bread

Step 1:  Drain the diced tomatoes of any extra juice (save it for stock, sauce or just drink it).  Don't skip this step, if the tomatoes are swimming in juice they will make your bread soggy.  Soggy bread is the worst.

Step 2: In a bowl gently stir together the tomatoes, basil and olive oil.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Step 3:  Grill or toast the bread.  I love rye, but you could also use a crusty French or slightly sweet whole wheat. 

Step 4:  Serve the bruschetta over the toasted bread.  Or serve the tomato and bread separately and let folks put together their own little slice of summer heaven. 

Yields: 2 dinner sized servings or 4 appetizer servings

Nutrition: 365 calories, 10 grams of fat, 9 grams of fiber, 10 grams of protein, that's 7 Weight Watcher's Points (calculated for two dinner sized servings served with rye bread - divide by two for appetizer size servings)

21 comments:

  1. I love tomatoes, they are my favorite vegetable or fruit?! Sometimes I eat a tomato like an apple. And, of course, the best ones are home grown and seasonal. This bruschetta is something I could eat every day all summer long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM! Those are some beautiful looking tomatoes! Looks and sounds fab!

    Mary xo
    Delightful Bitefuls

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum, this looks amazing. I've never made bruschetta before, but it's on my list as soon as my tomatoes ripen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i just love bruschetta. nice recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks delicious and colourful

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh believe you that it was the best! With all that freshness. I love fresh basil so much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks beautiful and it means summer to me too.

    Jason

    ReplyDelete
  8. Simple, fresh, full of flavor. It doesn't get any better. Great pics.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice Bruschetta. Quick, easy, healthy, and oh so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tomato is really a summer veg! It is so fresh and bright! Lovely recipe...it sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. one of my all time favorite foods!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I totally agree about the tomatoes. There's something amazing that happens when you pick one off the vine, smell it, feel the warmth from the sun and bite into it. That's summer. Thank you so much for that reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yep, you're absolutely right about the tomatoes. Mine aren't quite ripe yet, but when they are, it's this bruschetta for me, too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks great! I love all the different tomato colors.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks so good. My neighbor just gave me some grape tomatoes. I know what I am doing with them tomorrow. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love Bruschetta, when you have garden tomatoes in the summer, like now. My husband and I rub fresh garlic on the warm toasted bread. Try it!
    It gives the Bruschetta another layer of flavor

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your Bruschetta looks divine!!! I can't wait for my tomatoes to ripen!! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. how delicious. yum.
    Thanks for adding me at foodbuzz. I look forward reading your posts. Have a great one. Michael

    ReplyDelete
  19. I wanna try this soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Im going to an italian themed cooking party this weekend. I was considering a bruschetta - now its confirmed!

    ReplyDelete