8.24.2010

Combo Recipe for Stuffed Tomatoes


In search of more ways to eat tomatoes, lest we get bored with the excesses of summer, I found a couple recipes for stuffed tomatoes.  I've never tried stuffing tomatoes before.  The deterrent was the daintiness.  It didn't seem like stuffed tomatoes would be filling and I was afraid to cover up the amazing flavor of garden fresh tomato with something as mundane as bread crumbs. 

I took all my cookbooks off the shelf and put them on the bed and then sat in the middle and one by one checked for stuffed tomato recipes.  In the end, there weren't that many cookbooks with stuffed tomato recipes. I did find two that I was excited about.  One in the Blueberry Hill Cookbook and one in Nourishing Traditions.  The first was simply egg with cheese and chives on top and the second was a bread crumb stuffing.  They turned out very good individually but together they were amazing.  The egg kind of poached in the tomato cup and the bread crumbs soaked up a little moisture making a stuffing.  Together they balanced the carbohydrate and protein with the acid tomato making a completely delicious meal. 

Plus the two recipes complimented each other nicely.  Making the two recipes really didn't take that much more time than making just one.  Both recipes can bake together in the same casserole dish and for the same amount of time.  So you get what looks like a fancy complex meal but with out all that work. 

The following recipe is for the combo of egg and bread crumb stuffed tomatoes.  It makes two dinner sized servings or four side dishes. 

Stuffed Tomato Combo

8 large ripe tomatoes
4 eggs
2 slices of whole grain bread
2 tablespoons butter, softened
2 tablespoons chives, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh basil
1 tablespoons fresh parsley
4 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper to taste

Step 1:  Cut the blossom ends off the tomatoes and scoop the insides out being careful not to pierce the walls of the tomato.  Lightly salt the insides of the tomatoes and place them in a buttered casserole.  The tomatoes should fit snugly so they can't slide around much. 

Step 2:  Chop the bread in a food processor until it is fine crumbs.  Add butter, 2 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese, basil and parsley.  Pulse a few times to blend it all together.  Set aside. 

Step 3: Drop an uncooked egg - careful, don't break it! - into four tomatoes.  Sprinkle a half tablespoon of grated Parmesan cheese and some chives over each egg. Then fill the remaining tomatoes with bread crumb mixture.  Top each cup with half tablespoon Parmesan cheese.   

Step 4:  Bake at 350F for 20-30 minutes or until eggs are set. 

It's tomato time here on my blog. This month I'll be looking at different ways to preserve and eat tomatoes. Check out my first post where there are lots of inspiring comments for how to enjoy tomatoes. I am also adding links to the tomato posts as they are published so you will be able to find them together. Check it out here: Tomato Recipes and Ideas.

This post was submitted to: wildyeastblog.com

36 comments:

  1. Wow, that really does look like a fancy meal! Like you, I'm running out of ways to use up my fresh tomatoes, and this is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helllllo dinner, I love it - I am so going to bake in egg in my next tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ever since the egg scare I have seen more egg recipes lately....

    this one however is unique - great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful idea, full of flavour.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of the egg, looks like a great breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks great,love your tomatoes:))

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so great!!! I make something very similar to this and I think I need to try this recipe now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks great! Gotta try your recipe, It looks simple and healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love stuffed tomatoes, these look great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look amazing. Man I want some for lunch today. I wish I had more big tomatoes on hand.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow - this looks amazing - the egg baked right in the tomato. I'm totally going to try it! I have made Ingrid Hoffman's "tango Tomatoes" stuffed with a chorizo-onion-pepper-breadcrumb-cheese mixture and they are divine (and a meal in and of themselves) - so happy to have a new option!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks like a really wonderful dish for brunch and the presentation is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooh, this looks great! I'm always looking for new healthy breakfast ideas! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. My lord, Foy, where the heck are you getting all of these tomatoes? That's a better eggy in a basket than I've seen...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Totally fabulous! My tomato addicted daughter is going to love these and so will I!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh wow, that looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the photos and the recipe sounds delicious! I'm certainly going to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So what if I wanted to make this is say...December, but I didn't want to make it with crappy grocery store tomatoes. What would happen if I scooped out some garden tomatoes now and froze them for making stuffed tomatoes later?? Think it would work?

    ReplyDelete
  19. These look great! Two of my favorites - tomatoes and eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The egg stuffed tomatoes are a great idea...I've never seen that. Hello, brunch menu!

    ReplyDelete
  21. They both look amazing! Buzzing away!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I must do the uncooked egg next time.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Foy,

    That was a great recipe...Will try it out!!!

    Sameena@http://www.myeasytocookrecipes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the idea of the egg in the tomato. Would have never thought of that. Another idea is to use rice...I'll bet a creamy mushroom risotto in there would be phenomenal.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a gorgeous idea to use eggs to stuff tomatoes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love eggs in soup and in dishes like this. Baking eggs with tomatoes is drool invoking for me. Of course, I'd hide some chiles in there somewhere. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  27. This looks unbelieveable. I love soft eggs and warm tomatoes, but had never thought of putting them together! Can't wait to try it, and thank you for contributing to Simple Lives Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  28. These look lovely Foy! Eggs in anything are wonderful :D

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love that you compared both recipes.. :) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  30. The egg one is calling to me. I think I saw my name on it.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Tomatoes filled with bread or eggs sounds great for a brunch, too. What a great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  32. These look great! Thanks for linking up this week at the Backyard Farming Connection Hop - hope to see you next week :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Yum.... I'm drooling on my keyboard....

    ReplyDelete
  34. Your Stuffed Tomatoes look awesome, very different and full of flavor. Enjoy your weekend and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  35. Looks delicious! When I "smoosh" recipes, they always end up better than the original, too. thanks so much for sharing on Busy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  36. They look amazingly good..I always wanted to try stuffed tomatoes so here I go...next on my list...thank you for sharing the recipe...I'm your newest follower..Happy Tuesday. with love Janice

    ReplyDelete