8.28.2010

Sprucin' Up My Profile Picture - Please Vote

There is a contest starting this September over at FoodBuzz called Project Food Blog.  They are inviting all of their Featured Publishers (read: bloggers who uses Foodbuzz to advertise) to participate.  Think of it as a reality cooking show like Master Chef in blog format.  There will be a series of culinary blog challenges and contestants will be culled down until only one remains.  The winner will be crowned the Next Food Blog Star plus a featured spot on FoodBuzz.com for a year.  Oh, and get $10,000.  It sounds like fun to me. 

It's also a good excuse for me to spruce up my blog.  Did you notice my blog header got thinner?  Now you can see more of the most recent post with out scrolling down.  I have also decided to host my photos at flicker because Picasso makes them too low quality.  I didn't get a new camera just to put up blurry pictures!  Did I tell you I got a Canon Rebel XSi with a 28-105mm lens?  I bought it used off ebay and I feel like I got a steal of a deal. 

And I'm also working towards a new profile picture.  I ran across this article about what makes a good profile picture from OKCupid.  Yes, OKCupid is an online dating site, but I think the principles are the same.  We are both trying to sell personality and peak people's interest with small online images.  Their study found the most effective profile pictures for girls are ones that:
  1. Are photographed from above (just like every teenage girl on MySpace)
  2. Show cleavage (also might be why pictures from above are popular...)
  3. Have a flirty smile (you want to get to know me.  wink, wink)
  4. Give good eye contact (you can trust me)
  5. Show the girl doing something interesting (conversation starter)
So with that information in mind, I am hoping my profile picture says, "I'm a cute, down to earth, gardener and foodie.  Don't you want to come read my blog?" 

What do you think?  Which of these photos do you like best for my profile picture?

.A .B

.C

A.  Looking Up
B.  Looking to the Side
C.  Sitting

There is a poll box over in the right hand column.  Please vote.  And if you like you can give me more feed back in the comments.  Or even better become a follower of Foy Update (sign up in the right hand column).  I'm going to need all the support I can get for this Project Food Blog contest!

The results are in see which photo is my profile pic: http://www.foodbuzz.com/project_food_blog/contestants/389

46 comments:

  1. A. Your pretty face is obscured in B. and C. is kind of boring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like B. Is so mysterious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love A. You are so pretty! A really shows off your gorgeous eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think 'B' is more 'alluring'. 'C' is saying 'Bring it on !' (Good for a competition..) and I'm sorry to say it, but to me 'A' looks like your chin is stuck to the bowl... Just looked again, definitely 'B' for me. Good luck in the Competition ! KG.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love A! You are making eye contact and you have beautiful eye...it really looks like you are calling up the reader!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like A the best because I think I can see your personality in there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I vote A! Your eyes are absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I must confess that Jeff did bump up the saturation of the color of my eyes. I wish my eyes were that lovely shade of blue every day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was torn between B. and C. Though A shows off your eyes, B. makes me curious and C. screams "fresh food" and "cooking" and "this lady knows what she's blogging about."

    Ultimately I picked B. I figured it spoke to a curious reader who already knows you know what you're doing, and made them want to know "Why her?".

    ekatskitchen.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like C. It looks very natural and includes the ground - dirt. Very earthy! ;) Best of luck to you. This is going to be a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like A best, but I have tried cropping in on it and it shows off you eyes even more. Can I email you a pic?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I voted! (As much as I am a firm believer in gratuitous cleavage shots, I like the balanced attention between you and the fresh veggies in photo A.)

    ReplyDelete
  13. "A" really makes your eyes look great! It definitely says "come and read my blog."

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like A
    have fun at the project food blog

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was deciding between B and C but in the end I chose B.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A it is . Your eyes are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. As a designer and photographer, and a female who enjoys that touch of mystery and playfulness, I'd say that while they are all nice photos, B is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  18. A makes your eyes pop, but I agree with Kooky, your chin looks like its pushed out over the bolw, I think the angle is just a little off. I find B the most appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. "B" - you will have a hard time choosing...

    ReplyDelete
  20. I was torn between B and C, but like B the best:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. B or C, i can't decide!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Definately "A"...it shows off those baby blues of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  23. All three pics are beautiful. First I chose A. but then decided that I liked C. best.
    good luck with the contest!
    diane

    ReplyDelete
  24. My choice is B, looks very natural and beautiful..

    ReplyDelete
  25. number A. good luck !!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Number A.Great pic..

    ReplyDelete
  27. B is very coy.....

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm in the minority by liking C, I suppose. Having just had a session with my photographer friend we did a BUNCH of overhead shots--it's just so much more flattering. I like C because it gives you a sense of place more so than the close-in shots.

    ReplyDelete
  29. B for several reasons. A doesn't show all the food, which is as important as the beautiful woman holding it. C shows too much of the rest of the area and makes the bowl of vegetables tiny and again,the food is important. Plus, (in my opinion) there's a little too much "Cleveland" showing in C for a food promo shot.

    I love your half-smile in B and the way you're holding the food up to show the camera but not looking at the camera yourself so it's as if you're saying, "look at the food; it's what's important."

    ReplyDelete
  30. I agree with everything Mom Chef said....

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love them all, but especially both A and C.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Go for B! Mysterious and lovely. You look great!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I am loving B... hands down.... leaves something to the imagination.... keeps you wanting more! Kudos! you look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I like them all but C is my fave.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Saw your post too late to vote (mine would have been for the last one, C, it looks superb). I haven't entered the comp as my newly relaunched blog doesn't have the readership to get enough votes but I look forward to following it - best of luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love(A), Your eyes are gorgeous! (B) also cute!! Difficult for decide!! *O*

    ReplyDelete
  37. bakesalot9/07/2010

    I like the mysterious look of B

    ReplyDelete
  38. Anonymous6/01/2012

    None - do over!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hi there, i think we will be a good friends, i had the same lifestyle as your as the way i was looking at this post.

    please subscribe back to my blog too: http://partymanandre.blogspot.com, looking forward

    -Andre

    ReplyDelete