9.17.2010

Fall Apple Crisp - Recipe



I can't believe the apples are ripe!  Fall is really here.  And with fall come shorter days, comfy sweaters, mulled cider, and pumpkins.  My favorite holiday is just a couple months away!  What foodie doesn't love Thanksgiving?  But we aren't quite there yet.  We are still back at apples. 

I love apple crisp.  It is simple, tasty and will make your whole house smell like apples and cinnamon; the perfect dessert for autumn.  It is also a great way to use less than perfect apples.  Just cut out the bad spots, no one will ever know. 

One of the biggest down falls to many crisps is that they aren't crispy.  They are soggy.  This recipe earns the name crisp.  The method for cutting the flour into the butter and sugar keeps the topping from getting heavy and bogged down and the nuts add some texture and crunch. 

Get in the spirit, go pick some apples and make your own fall apple crisp. 

Fall Apple Crisp

Topping:
6 tablespoons of unbleached flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup coarsely chopped nuts such as pecans or walnuts
1/2 cup old fashion rolled oats 
Filling:
6 apples
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/8 cup honey
Step 1:  Make the topping by combining the flour, sugars, spices and salt in a food processor, pulse a couple times until combined.  Cut the chilled butter into 1/2 inch pieces.  Add the butter to the food processor mixture and pulse until it combines to a lumpy sand texture.  Four to five 1-second pulses should do it.  Do not over do it or the mixture will get sticky and the crisp topping, well it won't be crisp. 

Step 2:  Pour the mixture in the food processor into a medium sized bowl and add the nuts and rolled oats.  Use a spoon to mix it all together.  (Don't use your hands, their heat will melt the butter and we want the butter to be firm.)  Then put the topping into the refrigerator to keep the butter solid while you work on the filling. 

Step 3:  Preheat the oven to 375F.  Make the filling.  Core the apples and then chop them into 1-inch segments.  I leave the skin on, but you can peal the apples if you like.  You should have about 6 cups of apple chunks.  Toss the apples with the lemon juice to keep them from browning. 

Step 4:  To assemble the crisp, butter a 9x9 or 9 inch round baking dish.   Pour the apple chunks into the baking dish.  Drizzle the honey on top.  Then use a rubber spatula to scrape the topping over the top.  Use the spatula to evenly distribute the topping.  Bake the crisp uncovered for 40 minutes. Then turn the oven up to 400 and bake for an additional 5 minutes or until the topping is lightly browned and the filling is bubbly. 

Let sit for five minutes at least before serving.  Serve warm with a scoop of cinnamon ice cream or a dollop of fresh whipped cream and a cup of coffee.  Yields 4-6 servings.

32 comments:

  1. Looks delicious and sounds like pure comfort!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I love all things Fall! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yum. I love the ripe apples of fall! This looks delish and yes, very crisp.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful picture, lovely crisp! I am a cobbler gal - but this lloks yum

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just blogged about apple crisp as well! I love how you use honey. I will definitely have to give that a try. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I SO love apple crisp! I'm making this tonight for dessert. Thanks for sharing....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Being in Vegas our weather is still in the mid to high 90s so I have a hard time welcoming fall. This recipe looks delicious though. Mmmm.

    Bring on fall! Pumpkins, comfy sweaters, pumpkin spice lattes, cuddling on a Sunday morning, cool morning air. Ahhh. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Comfort food at it's best!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WANT.

    How do you like it best? With ice cream? Cream? Straight up? With coffee?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love apple crisp. That is probably my favorite dish as a child.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so ready for some delicious fall foods! This apple crisp looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great looking crisp recipe. I need to hit the apple orchard this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You beat me to my apple crisp recipe, which is similar to yours. My youngest son doesn't like cake or chocolate, weird I know. He requests apple crisp for every b-day, instead of cake. His b-day is in a few weeks, and them I'll make my version. I never thought to try honey in it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love any kind of crisp. Right now we have a lot of pears, but apples, pears, peaches (a standard for North Carolina), they're all fantastic. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely way to make use of deliciously ripe apples :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. delicious. perfect recipe to get into the fall spirit!:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Boy does that look and sound amazing. I want a piece. Mmm...I normally make a couple of Crisps during the Fall, after the local apple festival. I go and I pick a billion (seems like it) apples of different varieties (my favorites being Gala, Fuji, Moutsu?? and Honey Crisp). I love having different varieties in a bowl on the table. So many to choose from.

    ReplyDelete
  18. How lovely to be able to pluck apples off the tree as and when needed. That crisp is so awesome looking!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've never heard of a crisp (unles it was what you call a potato chip). I'll be trying this one. Feeling very autumnal even though it's 40 C where I live.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Loving that fall is here, and it's time for apples and pears. Keep 'em comin'!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fall is here, bring on the apple crisp!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great entry! I am studying abroad(student from Tennessee) in Caen, France(Lower Normandy) and we are rolling in apples here! Definitely going to have to give this a try! Merci!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love apple season, it's pretty much 20% of my diet from here until the winter. This looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great looking recipe...and I'll bet it would be great with just about any fruit. I've got peaches, nectarines and pears that have to get used somehow...this crisp Crisp sounds like just the ticket! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Isn't fall the best! Nothing says fall to me more than apple crisp. Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  26. looks like I gotta start eating some apples - haven't had them for quite sometime now since I'm not a fruit fan. but gotta get my health back in order now.



    have a lovely tuesday love.
    jen @ www.passion4food.ca

    ReplyDelete
  27. This looks amazing!! Perfect dessert to welcome fall. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ooh, this looks so good! I hope you'll come share this post on my Blog Fest: http://fresh-eggs-daily.blogspot.com/2012/09/farm-girl-friday-blog-fest-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  29. Sounds delicious. Perfect for fall.

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is a great recipe for a great old classic. Hope you are having a great weekend and thanks for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  31. Looks delish!!! Thank you for sharing with us at Healthy 2Day Wednesday! :)

    ReplyDelete