9.01.2010

Fresh Tomato Pasta - Healthy Summer Recipe


It was just one (okay, maybe just six) little cherry tomato plants that went into the ground this spring and now I am paying for it. The little red buggers seem to multiply on the counter when I'm not looking and more sneak into the garden every night. I think I have finally got them all used up and then there are more. Is this just my counter? Anyways if you are living with a cherry tomato invasion there is hope. Make this delicious fresh tomato pasta. It's great for summer; not a lot of cooking. All you really have to do is boil the water for pasta and sauté some onion. No hot ovens involved,  I promise. You'll get juicy rich summer flavor and you won't have to foist cherry tomatoes off on your neighbors.

Fresh Tomato Pasta
As many cherry tomatoes as you can handle (about 4 cups halved)
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, torn
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
Whole wheat thin spaghetti pasta for two (6 oz)
Step 1: Make the whole wheat thin spaghetti according to the package. You will be glad you used the thin spaghetti because it only needs 7 minutes to cook. That means you won't have to stand near a hot stove when it's hot outside.

Step 2: Meanwhile sauté the onions in the olive oil until translucent. Cut the cherry tomatoes in half. This is a good idea because whole they tend to squirt juice when you bite into them. Squirting is not an admirable attribute in food, at least I don't think so. Maybe you do?  In which case don't bother with the cutting.  Mix the tomatoes in a bowl with the sautéed onion and basil. Salt and pepper to taste.

Step 3: Drain and rinse the whole wheat spaghetti in cool water. Toss the noodles with a drizzle of olive oil to keep them from sticking to each other. Then serve the noodles with the tomato mixture on top, a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese and enjoy.  Serves two.

See what did I tell you? Summer flavor with minimal cooking.

It's tomato time here on my blog. This month I'll be looking at different ways to preserve and eat tomatoes. Check out my first post where there are lots of inspiring comments for how to enjoy tomatoes. I am also adding links to the tomato posts as they are published so you will be able to find them together. Check it out here: Tomato Recipes and Ideas.

This post was featured on Simple Lives Thursday, 8th Edition.

37 comments:

  1. Foy this looks so fresh and delicious. I LOVE the new profile pic. Just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks pretty, I love how non heavy it looks. Pasta is sooo good but I hate that heavy feeling I get after I eat it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great (and great photo, too). I've been in tomato mode myself. Can't get enough of those fresh tomato salads!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jackie Ewing9/01/2010

    this looks great! send this into the Aetna Healthy Food Fight! healthyfoodfight.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have the same problem with my tomatoes, but fortunately, living in an apartment, there's 4 other people in the building to help me eat them :) I made something similar to this for dinner last night, although less on the healthy side (since I added bacon). This looks fresh and delicious, and perfect for a late summer meal!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like doing this to - the no cook tomato sauce option. The pasta isn't even necessary - but it is tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Simple and delicious! Love the new pic! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. How gorgeous! What a great picture of your tomato pasta! That is honestly one of my favorite way to have pasta in the summer, thanks for sharing your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well you can always send me some, they are my FAVORITE - this looks great

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, how I wish I had the same cherry tomato "problem"! Luckily I get plenty of them in my CSA basket. This pasta looks incredible, and it's great to have another oven-free option!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The color of the dish is so awesome!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Simple, yet delicious! Looks like the perfect summer pasta using what's fresh from the garden :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great invasion! Love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so simple and beautiful too! It sounds perfect for summertime!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is such a simple dish but with great local ingredients, you can't go wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Boy does that look wonderful. I only have 2 Juliet plants this summer and I have more little grape type tomatoes than I know what to do with. They are amazing. I have done this though and it is just amazing - fresh flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The best food IS homegrown and this dish is simple, healthy, and delicious! I have tons of cherry tomatoes right now and had a similar dinner last night. Good luck with Project Food Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful! My latest post was Fresh Tomato Sauce! I love yours too. Can you even go wrong with a fresh garden tomato? So good. I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  19. When there is a good crop, it always puts a smile on your face :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey there,

    What do you think this is?
    http://www.cookmyway.com.au/growers/61/not-sure-what-this-is

    EVeryone seems to think its potatoes but I'm still not sure.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very nice, I make something similar all the time. The only variation is I add spinach and balsamic vinegar, less the onions.

    Whole wheat pasta is soooo good, it works especially well in this type of dish.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks great! Tomatoes, garlic, pasta...you just can't go wrong..YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looks delicious! I am a new follower from the blog hop! Hope you can stop by and visit my blogs.

    http://shining2save.com
    http://mommyslittledinos.blogspot.com

    Have a great day!
    Kari

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh how I love cherry tomatoes! Your pasta looks absolutely scrumptious!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Simple, yet delicious. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love tomato season! I cannot get enough! I make a recipe similar to this with fresh garlic and tomatoes and basil. I think everyone has their own version. This looks so great and simple!

    ReplyDelete
  27. These pics are great... sounds like such a fresh and tasty dish.

    I have one little (actually it's pretty tall now) cherry tomato plant living in my apartment... still no tomatoes, but I'm hoping!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Looks easy, healthy, and delicious - fresh tomatoes are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I am craving healthy pasta and will make it this week. I will pair it with an Arugula salad http://cuceesprouts.com/2011/05/blueberry-surprise-salad/, a recipe that I posted on my blog recently. The two will go really well together

    ReplyDelete
  30. Saw a link to your great pasta recipe at The Cottage Market - I'm going to make this one, it looks simple enough for me and yet very tasty. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  31. We just love fresh vegetables from the garden with a Pasta combination, this looks like a great recipe and so simple. Hope you have a great weekend and thank you so much for sharing on Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  32. Yum!! Thanks for linking up to Snacktime Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  33. This recipe is so yummy! Thanks for linking up to our Strut Your Stuff Saturday! We hope you'll be back next week! Thanks again! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh my gosh this looks amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. ::Drool:: I love me some good pasta recipes. Thanks for stopping by and linking up to Snacktime Saturday.

    ReplyDelete