9.15.2010

Project Food Blog Challenge #1: Ready, Set, Blog!



Hi I’m Foy! Welcome to my kitchen. I am convinced the best food is home grown and that nourishing meals can be enjoyed on a tiny budget.

You’ll find lots of recipes here as well as a community of readers that have great ideas for how to use up all those tomatoes or what to do with parsnip; you know the big questions in life.

I let what’s ripe in the garden or what I can gather in the woods determine the menu. Then I try out recipes that use whole ingredients and write about my experiences.

You won’t find jars of spaghetti sauce or cans of cream of mushroom soup on these pages. What you will find are seasonal ways to prepare and enjoy food along with occasional pictures of my crazy Panamanian cat. His name is Zeus and he got in the oven all by himself, I swear. 



There are lots of recipes for dishes like this Roasted Beets, Peaches and Goat Cheese Salad with a Citrus Pecan Dressing:



This summer I got the chance to share some of my food preservation recipes.

From Top Left Clockwise: dehydrating tomatoes, freezing pesto, dill pickles, freezing strawberries
Canning, freezing and drying are great ways to bank the bounty of summer and save time and money later in the year. We are in full swing harvest right now in the Midwest. To tell the truth, it’s kind of crazy in the kitchen. I’m freezing pesto, oil packing dehydrated tomatoes, making stock and putting up pickles. I even decided to try corn relish for the first time.

Looking ahead, in October, I’ll be focusing on pumpkin and winter squash dishes.
  • Roasted butternut squash
  • Curried pumpkin soup
  • Some sort of delicious pumpkin dessert that isn’t pumpkin pie… I haven’t come up with it yet. I am hoping it involves walnuts or possibly pecans.
I want your ideas too! How do you prepare winter squash?

And one other little thing, I’m throwing my name in the hat. I’m competing in the FoodBuzz.com challenge, Project Food Blog. If I advance, you’ll see exciting posts that are a little out of my comfort zone, like throwing a dinner party, step by step foodie photo shoot tutorial, and tackling a classic dish from another culture. I’d be thrilled if you came along for the ride.
I hope you like what you read, and if you do, become a follower by clicking the “follow” button in the right hand column.

If you are a Featured Publisher at Foodbuzz, please vote for me. I’d love ya for it, I really would. 
  • Voting opens 6:00 am Pacific Time September 20th
  • Voting closes 6:00 pm Pacific Time September 23rd.

37 comments:

  1. I love your style of cooking. I too like to use seasonal veggies however I have no room for a veggie patch so often visit the farmers markets. I hope this changes soon once we move home... Adventures are to be had.
    A couple of ideas for your pumpkins and squash: Try a winter squash souffle (sounds scary but it is gorgeous) and pumpkin creme brulee.
    Please keep your recipes coming :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. the cat in the oven...too cute..I have two of them...Noah and Oliver..

    the post speaks about you....gardening and being green...your food speaks the same language..you are unique and special..

    much luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nooo, don't cook the cat! ;-)

    Looking forward to many more delicious recipes. When it comes to pumpkin, I love pumpkin bread.

    -Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing your life. I look forward to reading more. I will be posting my project food buzz entry tomorrow. Check it out and let me know what you think.
    Ashlee
    www.ashandlewplus2.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Foy......good luck dear :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good Luck in the competition! I love your fresh veggie and fruit recipes. I'll be following you right to the pumpkin desserts and fall recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your blog so far -- my household switched to eating locally (as much as possible). Your blog will really come in handy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love regional and seasonal food, and will be coming here often to see what you are doing :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your peaches and goat cheese salad looks divine! Amazing. Enjoying your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful post, thanks for sharing a piece of your life. Good Luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. great post, you might want to link to your actual entry so it's easier to vote. You link just goes to your contestant page.

    Here is mine for example:
    http://www.foodbuzz.com/project_food_blog/challenges/1/view/600

    I've voted, but just wanted to let you know!! Great post. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You got my vote! Cheers and aloha.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Foy! Nice to meet you. You got my vote! :-) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know I've said it before, but I love your blog!I aspire to take as beautful pics as you do!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is definitely my kind of blog! I love using what's fresh and in season to create delicious healthy and economical dishes. Beautiful pictures and great voice- I will definitely be back:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sent a happy ♥ vote your way. See you in round two!
    ~ Mary

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those veggies look divine.
    I like kobocha squash mashed up into a chicken pot pie. Weird, but it works. Gives it a creamy texture. You've got my vote!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your blog is wonderful! You have my vote!!!!!! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  19. cast my vote for you! Good luck- love the cat in the oven- something mine might do!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gardeners unite! Garden to Table Rocks! You got my vote!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love your blog! I am a forager, so seasonal, fresh food is my passion! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You've got my vote! Hope to see us both in Round 2!

    ReplyDelete
  23. My Zeus (yep, cat) would do exactly the same as yours given the chance! They have the same mischievous glint in their eye. I honestly think naming my cat Zeus was asking for trouble (he was teeny and only weighed 3 pounds at the time, how was I to know??)...

    Anyway,best of luck, hope we see each other again in future rounds!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wonderful! I think the first blog post I ever read of yours included Zeus in the oven. I loved it. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  25. The cat in the oven is hilarious, but scary - if it were me I'd have to check the oven each time I turned it on after that!
    I voted for you... Good luck with PFB.
    If you'd like to check out my post it's here: http://bit.ly/9JXLNL

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have my herbs stuck any where there is a spare patch of dirt! You have my vote. Check out my post at http://www.foodbuzz.com/project_food_blog/challenges/1/view/638. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great blog! Voted for you...All the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. WOWWWWW !!! Amazing work, from the garden straight to the table ... Love your hard work !!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I like that you have your own produce and straight out of your own garden. Your cat is a cutie looks like my cat's long lost sibling. Good luck with the challenge. You have my vote. Have a look at my post at
    http://simplyaboutlife.blogspot.com/2010/09/challenge-1-ready-set-blog-post.html

    ReplyDelete
  30. I like your fresh and seasonal cooking ideas! Will vote for you!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great post! I just gave you a vote! You can check out my entry here: http://tinyurl.com/2ec2hlq Thanks and Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love your blog! Beautiful! Looks like you and I have a lot in common! You have my vote!!! http://janedeereblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  33. I also love using local and seasonal ingredients. You got my vote, good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  34. The first thing I saw when I scrolled down was the cat in the oven and I was like "Wait, what kind of post is this!?" Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  35. How did the cat taste? J.K. I voted for you already -- Good luck in the competition!!

    Shelly, Nibbles of Tidbits :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love your blog! Can't wait to read more!! And your cat seriously just cracked me up! :)

    ReplyDelete