9.08.2010

Taste Five - Valparaiso, Indiana


What is this?  It looks like the reduction of balsamic vinegar in olive oil is some sort of mischievous tad pole getting ready to take a bite out of the roasted garlic.  And that white wedge that looks like cheese?  That's butter.  Yeah, a big triangle of B-U-T-T-E-R.  It came with delicious bread and we e't it all. 

Jeff and I went to the last Taste Five of the summer here in Valparaiso, Indiana.  It's a night where five of the downtown restaurants do a five dollar menu on the first Thursday of the month.  It's a great way to drum up business on our little main street a.k.a. Lincolnway.  Plus there is bonus entertainment.  Each restaurant even gets its own musician for the night. 


We decided to try the two restaurants that we hadn't had a chance to sample yet: Bistro 157 and Don Quixote's.  I was looking forward to both of them. We went to Bistro 157 first.  It made my skirt fly up. 


For starters their guitarist played only music I knew.  I had to sing along to Van Morrison and Simon and Garfunkel.  I noticed the table next to me was also singing along.  Perhaps it was the delicious Asian pear martinis giving a little bit of courage? 

We tried two appetizers off their Taste Five menu.  The Beef and Smoked Gouda Quesadilla was decadent, but the Duck Pot Stickers with sweet chili dipping sauce stole the show.  So tangy and crispy and fresh with just the right amount of spice ... wow ... everyone should try these.  That's all I have to say about that. 

Poor Don Quixote's didn't stand a chance.  We went there next and their sangria tasted like sprite mixed with a wine cooler and the fried goat cheese tasted like crispy ricotta.  Such a shame.  Goat cheese should be creamy, not clotted.  The waiter was very friendly.  He was the bright spot in the evening at Don Quixote's.  We'll give them another chance. Perhaps it's just the fried goat cheese that is below par. 

Also I didn't get any good photos at Don Quixote's.  It was getting dark, so my camera wasn't taking quality photos.  (All the Taste Five restaurants have outdoor seating and since it was a beautiful evening eveyone was sitting outside.) 

Unfortunately this was the last Taste Five of the summer.  Wish we had been on our game, we would have gone every first Thursday for the Valpo Taste Five.

16 comments:

  1. Those pot stickers look and sound amazing. Since having tried to make them once or twice, I have an immense respect for those who can make them so beautiful. Thanks for sharing your evening with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Sounds delish and would love to have that asian pear martini right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow what a mix of flavors :) Sorry about the sangria though, but the photos look great :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks delicious!!! im a dumpling loverrrrRRR

    take cares & have a great day!
    jen

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like those pot stickers...very tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another type of martini? Must check that out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The pot stickers look amazing! Great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cool idea to show off what the restuarants can do and attract curious diners.

    Jason

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh everything looks SO good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like you were having lots of fun and food! Photos looks good:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You never did say.... what is that tadpole looking thing?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Re: You never did say.... what is that tadpole looking thing?

    It's a reduction of balsamic vinegar in olive oil with Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top. Fresh bread was served with it. Jeff thought the balsamic reduction was over powering, but I quite liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Foy, I really thought you lived in India. I need to go to the eye doctor (smile).
    Bistro 157 sounds really wonderful-nice review...!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like you had a nice time. I'm liking the local coverage. Long live the new localism!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Previous spring I extraordinarily looked for buying research papers. In the same way as enormously lengthy quest I saw
    Help writing a thesis statement that does exactly the things I prefered. accordingly guys you in reality must try write my assignment for me

    ReplyDelete