11.21.2010

Evidence of Too Much Stuff - Big Blue Yoga Ball


I like to think that I am better than average that I have am a more mindful consumer than most.  But in cleaning out the closet I have found evidence to the contrary. 

I have one of those yoga ball things.  Okay so maybe you have one of these big blue balls at your house.  Maybe you even use it.  Maybe you're even sitting on it right now.  I'm not.  My giganitic plastic ball has been deflated in my closet for years.  I bought it back in 2002 when I thought I might use it instead of a chair to make my posture better or magically make me look like the girl on the box it came in. 

I've moved this ball to four different states.  I put it in storage for two years while I did Peace Corps.  And now it is taking up valuable closet space.  Have I told you we only have one closet?  

The reason I kept it was because I believed it could get me in better shape and be thinner and prettier.  Yes, I bought into commercial idea of it hook line and sinker.  I have been dragging it around because I still wish I was thinner and prettier.  This ball will never make me thinner and prettier (stage wisper:  It is just a thing.).  So this big yoga ball is going, going, gone.

9 comments:

  1. LOL, mine is green, and inhabits a chair in the corner of the living room, with a rolled-up purple yoga mat on the floor next to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a green one, too. My dog ate it. Serioulsy, if you wanna get rid of some stuff a puppy is the way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mine's silver. Currently residing... somewhere... Might leave it when I move out. I'm looking forward to minimalism.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girrrrrrrlfriend! You gonna need one of those puppies when you get knocked up! I bought one because Huck was transverse (sort of like breech, but sideways) and I had to spend hours bouncing on that thing to turn him into the right position. After he was born, I found it to be better-way better-than a rocking chair for soothing him and getting him down to sleep. And I was working out while soothing my baby! Bonus! Plus, way more portable than a rocking chair, so I could put in in whatever room we needed to be in. I'm just saying-if you get rid of it now, get another one whenever baby time comes around!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mine's blue and it was bought for the same reason (posture, thinner, prettier), and has suffered the same fate several years later. I wonder just how many yoga balls stay in their package never to be inflated!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to get this :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My wife has one of these too. She used it as part of the Ball and Band workout DVD I got her a few years back. She got value out of it but it is now clutter just like yours! I hadn't thought of using it as a chair. Interesting...

    We all have "stuff" if we have any extra space at all.

    Jason

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a purple one in the corner of my bedroom
    between the nightstand and the dresser. I have a very hard time getting rid of things, but this going Bye Bye now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't have the ball, but I do have about a half dozen different DVDs and yes, VHS tapes of stuff to help make me prettier and thinner. At least they don't take up much space. :)

    ReplyDelete