11.14.2010

Less Stuff More Action

Hi my name is Foy. I write this blog. I’ve been writing this blog for five years. It’s been many things:
It’s time for another incarnation.

Thank you to all my readers who came for my recipe blog. You helped me reach the goal of cooking food from basic ingredients and buying local as much as possible.

My next mission is to come to terms with the stuff in my life.

I’ve lived the type of lifestyle that forced me to own little. Between the ages of 18-28 I was proud everything I owned could fit in my car. In those ten years I had 37 roommates and lived in 16 different locations. I was a nomad, I was free. Yet somehow I wasn’t free of my stuff. Sure I had to pare down and fit everything in my grandpa’s old Park Avenue Buick, but I kept as much as that car would allow. I couldn’t see out the back window and even the passenger seat was full when I drove to my next apartment.

This drawer is actually called the "junk drawer".
Today I’m 29 and my husband, Jeff, and I live in a 550 square foot apartment. It’s getting crowded. I’ve tried but I’ve never successfully made myself look at what I own from a utilitarian point of view. I always get wrapped up in the emotional story of my stuff. Well, it’s time. I’m going to break up with stuff.

Goal: To confront the belief that stuff makes me happy by identifying the purpose of the things I own; sorting through all my possessions and reducing what I own by one third by the New Year (46 days).

Want to come along and see how it goes? I hope you will. I hope you look at what you own in a different light. I hope you are inspired.

14 comments:

  1. Foy, it sounds awesome. I'm looking forward to hearing about it. We had pipe break on the second floor of our house in late May while we were away. There was damage in nearly every room in the house, starting what we called our forced remodel. Thank God for good insurance. The house has been repaired. Early in the process, we lived in a motel. We moved back before the new flooring went in and before we had a working kitchen. Our house full of stuff was boxed and moved around the house from one room to the next as repairs took place. A real eye opener on what we can easily and happily get a long without and what we really need. We too have gotten rid of alot of stuff in the process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a challenging journey...I need to get rid of a lot of needless stuff, but haven't been able to let go either. I'm looking forward to reading your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great inspiration and I agree that it is challenging. I try to do that every year but there is always something I hang on to.

    I will be supporting and cheering you, and looking forward to your posts...

    ReplyDelete
  4. foy... im amazed you have the strength to go through with this! I must admit even though I'm not much of a hoarder I'm definitely one for hanging onto things with sentimental value. So I can imagine that this experience can not just be liberating, but also really really difficult sometimes. So all the very best to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have the hardest time getting rid of things! For some reason, I think I'll need them again some day, but I probably never will. Good luck at cutting back! It's definitely a challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing your story Fay. I enjoyed reading it and found encouragement from it. Best of luck in meeting your goals. May your progress inspire your life and others.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found you through Becoming Minimalist and I'm excited to find you!! I want to encourage you on your new quest!! I'm new to minimalism, too, and will start on the garage tomorrow!! It is an exciting time but I know most of what is there is sentimental and I'm a little nervous, too...but it is time. I'm subscribing so I can find encouragement from a fellow new-minimalist!! :) Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kristin11/19/2010

    Also found you on Becoming Minimalist and am sending my encouragement!

    Doesn't it feel like a total breakthrough when you realize that stuff controls you?? I only wish it had not taken me so long to come to that realization. Best wishes as you continue along your path to simplicity!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, the junk drawer! I hate that thing!

    Found you through Becoming Minimalist, and excited to read along on your new adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another one coming from Becoming Minimalist. I love the way you write and I can't wait to see how your challenge goes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm looking forward to watching you along this journey. Thanks for being willing to share it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good luck. After just a couple of weeks of living in a small room with only a bed and a few clothes while on an international volunteer trip, I realized I could probably get rid of most everything I own. Unfortunately my husband doesn't see it that way. Now for three years, it's been a constrant struggle of my desire to streamline and his to hang on. I hope you succeed to the extent you desire.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I need more minimalist tendencies. I tend t hang on to things way too long. Maybe you'll give me some inspiration to downsize my stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm here to stay. Food or not. That has been fun and I hope some will wander through from time to time.

    Jason

    ReplyDelete