4.16.2011

Cottage Cheese and Fresh Fruit - Healthy Vegetarian Breakfast


I've been looking for a healthy and quick breakfast; something with protein that will get me through until lunch.  Cottage cheese with fresh fruit has been a tasty answer.  I've been eating about a half cup low-fat cottage cheese with a Clementine orange, strawberries or some of the frozen berries we put up last summer.

I let you in on another fantastic way to eat cottage cheese, mix it with salsa and eat it with tortilla chips.  I know it sounds strange, but it's surprisingly yummy.  Maybe I'll have to make that another post. 

As a kid I couldn't stand cottage cheese.  I'm not sure what's changed, but recently I've been craving it.  I still don't like yogurt.  Right now it is just a substitute for sour cream.  How do you eat cottage cheese or yogurt? 

If you are looking for a quick snack or breakfast you should give cottage cheese and fruit a try.  I'm not even sure you need a recipe for this one.  But here you go just to drive home how easy and quick this is:

Cottage Cheese and Fruit

1/2 cup low-fat organic cottage cheese
1 Clementine orange
1/4 cup fresh strawberries

 Top cottage cheese with fruit and enjoy. 
Check out how healthy this quick breakfast is:


16 comments:

  1. healthy and yummy! I personally love cottage cheese and pears - so good!

    also I just put up a post about healthy vegan dishes you might enjoy : j

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great quick healthy dish. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. the perfect way to start the day !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks great and so healthy! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great starter! Too bad you don't like yogurt. We have been digging the Chobani greek style yogurt for some time now. Great start to a day as well.

    Jason

    ReplyDelete
  6. YES! Nice job peeling that orange in one piece. This is a lovely little breakfast thanks for the inspiration! I forget how good simple cottage cheese and fruit is, plus good quality protein and fiber.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice and simple fast food. Love your photos. I have a whole bag of clementines to go through (came as a freebie with my Whole Foods shopping on Saturday)... so now I know what to do with them :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This makes a great snack or small breakfast. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry, I had to delete it as it had too many spelling mistakes! It's been a long ole' day. I wanted to say that is a great idea, and do you mind if I link to your post from my blog?
    Jen x
    http://vegetariancoeliac.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Delicious!I love strawberries! I like it very much the way you've presented this dessert with all the nutritional values and stuff. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  12. After reading this post I saw cottage cheese on sale at the store... I took the plunge and ate it on a spicy taco, it was a good substitute for sour cream. Then I ate it with pineapple and strawberries for dessert. The taste and the texture are acceptable, but the look of little wet curd pebbles stewing in milky salt juice is still a bit off-putting. This has got me wondering about other foods I've black listed from childhood. Could lima beans be next??

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous7/10/2012

    I love it with blueberries!!!! Yum!
    But get the reduced sodium...much fresher taste!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great way to get cottage cheese a bit more appealing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. what is the breakfast cookie recipe

    ReplyDelete
  16. Try adding a few walnuts! It's gives the dish a little texture and crunch.

    ReplyDelete