5.03.2011

Yellow Flowering Japanese Magnolia 'Butterflies'


I love this small stature yellow Japanese magnolia called butterflies (Magnolia 'Butterflies').  The buttery yellow flowers have been beckoning me from across the garden. 

I usually write about food and recipes on this blog; sometimes I forget about the garden part of Garden. Cook. Write. Repeat.  I spend my days working as a horticulturist for a not-for-profit arboretum and garden.  In May we barely have a chance to sit down, but every once in a while I remember to take a moment and enjoy the view. 


Magnolia 'Butterflies' is a great little tree for small yards.  It gets 15 to 30 feet tall and wide and is hardy in zones 5-9.  It loves the coveted moist yet well drained soil and prefers sun to partial shade.  The best part?  It has a lovely heady fragrance.  Put them in a place you walk by frequently like near the front door or off the back patio. 

Butterflies magnolia was all the rage a couple years back and everyone wanted one and no one had them in stock. Now they are easier to find and more reasonably priced. I have seen whips for as low as $30 and larger ball and burlap plants in the several hundred dollar range. Check your local nursery if you are interested.

2 comments:

  1. Great. Just one more thing to add to my Must-Have/Lust List

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is gorgeous! I've never seen a yellow magnolia. So pretty and I like its petite size! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete