7.03.2012

Beets are Delicious - Recipes and Ideas

Beets are part of the share this week at Hope CSA/Hawkin's Farm.  Photo credit Zach Hawkins

Beets are one of those vegetables that I didn't grow up eating or even acknowledging.  Unless you count the pickled beet rings that my grandma would put out on the condiment tray at every holiday meal.  I'm not even sure what they tasted like, as far as the school-aged me was concerned they were merely decorative.

Two years ago I put up a post entitled:

Recipes, Ideas and Inspiration for Beets


At the time I was working on figuring out how to enjoy beets. I am happy to report that I now like beets and I'm excited to see them on the CSA harvest list for the week.  It wasn't so much that I didn't like them, as I had no idea what to do with them.  Perhaps you're in the same kettle?  How do you like your beets? Keep reading for my favorite ways to eat them.

Currently the Hawkin's Family Farm Co-op is harvesting some beautiful beets.  They are growing four kinds this year 'Red Ace', 'Chioggia', 'Golden' and 'Bull's Blood'.  Zach Hawkins, tells me: 
The Red Ace is a good all-around beet.  It grows quickly, and stays sweet and tender even as it gets a little bigger and older.  The golden beets have a mild, sweet flavor and a pretty color.  They're probably my favorite, in part, because they're a bit difficult to get to germinate...so it's kind of like a challenge.  The Chioggia beets are an Italian heirloom variety with distinctive candy cane or bullseye striping in the roots.  The Bull's Blood produces really beautiful greens, and is often grown for salad mixes.  It also has striping in the root.
Beet tops as salad greens?  I haven't tried that yet.  I imagine the younger the green the more tender it will be. 


Here are my favorite ways to eat the beets:



Butternut Beet Soup, this would be more of a fall recipe if we weren't still able to get stored winter squash from River Ridge Farm!



Panamanian Beet and Potato Salad, is another fun way to enjoy beets.  This is a typical party food in Panama.  It's also a great one to bring to potlucks and BBQs.  



This is one of my favorite beet recipes: Roasted Beets, Peaches and Goat Cheese Salad with a Citrus Pecan Dressing.  I posted the recipe earlier this week. The tart flavor of the peaches marries the earthy flavor of the beet and they really compliment each other well.  Although this isn't looking to be a good peach year.  Many of the orchards in north east Indiana got hit by frost right as the trees were blooming.  Perhaps we'll be able to get some good ones from Michigan.  

We've also taken to grilling beets as a side with burgers.  Simply peal and then slice into half inch thick coins.  Toss with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and grill over medium heat for 8-10 minutes per side.

I've been working on this post for a week!  It took me so long because of her.  She's a good problem to have.


This post is part of Simple Lives Thursday #103

14 comments:

  1. I only discovered beets in the past couple of years. It turns out I like turnips and love parsnips, too. My mom never cooked those when I was growing up, so I just never knew!
    About beet tops-one of the best beet dishes I ever made was super simple: cube the root and saute in olive oil with garlic & onion. Add the chopped greens, a little salt, pepper and a splash of vinegar (red wine, balsamic, or whatevs). It's really good with sausage, too, if you want to make it a main dish. And I love that you use the whole vegetable and get your serving of greens in.
    Excited to see you guys and snuggle that little time-sucker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your way of using the beet greens. I know I should eat more greens, seems easy enough and it isn't just a bunch of sauteed greens. Just sauteed greens are not inspiring.

      We are excited to see you guys too! Hopefully we'll be a low key ending to your trip around Lake Superior.

      Delete
  2. I love beetroot but always make such a mess cooking with it! The soup looks delicious...I am guessing butternut and beet would make great combo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My fingers are still pink! I hear that beets make a good Easter Egg dye. If you get a chance the soup is delicious, it becomes a weekly staple when it isn't 100 degrees out!

      Delete
  3. Beets: my number one favorite beet use: shredded over a salad. Shredded, they're sweet and don't need to be cooked. Cut off the top and root, peel them somewhat and use the cheese grater. SO GOOD. Awesome in a salad that has pistatios, cheese, or anything. The greens, i prefer to sautee but the baby greens are great in a salad mix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot about grating beets into a salad. You're right it's a great way to eat beets. I often do it with our salad greens, adding salmon, hard boiled eggs and some sauteed onions. Yummy.

      Delete
  4. I love beets! The earthy quality just makes me feel so good when I eat them =) And what a cutie little girl you have!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love beetroots too. i discovered candied beetroots that are grown in an island off scotland that are golden yellow - and taste amazing. Great recipe ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just saw that Diana at Spain in Iowa put up a recipe for stuffed beets. I'll have to add this to my list of recipes to try:

    http://www.spain-in-iowa.com/2010/07/stuffed-beets-remolachas-rellenas/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to hate beets,but now I really appreciate them. Can't believe how much my taste preferrences have change these past years. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love beets and that soup looks awesome. I am going to add this to my Mouth Watering Mondays post on Monday. Come on by to see it at www.noshingwiththenolands.com Cheers, Tara

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love beets and your photo of the beet array is beautiful. But not as beautiful as that gorgeous little munchkin! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I grew the beet called Flat of Egypt this year in my VegTrug. It comes from Baker Creek Seed. I harvested them when they were very small. They were delicious! I cooked some (from the store) recently and added a combination of white wine vinegar, honey, vanilla balsamic vinegar and basil balsamic vinegar, tossed in a few dehydrated roasted onions and let it mature for a day in the fridge. Yum! Your photos are awesome as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean, Your beet salad sounds amazing. Cold beet salad on a hot summer day? Yes please.

      Now that I don't have Taltree to photograph, I spend a lot of time taking photos at the farm, in the garden and of course of our little cutie.

      My computer is almost out of space! Need to get an external hard drive. Sounds like a familiar problem, no?

      Delete