|Sophie and Josh have been leading the charge this September for both the CSA vegetables and animals.|
Harvest season is in full swing. I have a peck of peppers in the garage, a bushel of apples in the laundry room, tomatoes simmering on the stove, tomatoes in the dehydrator and the ingredients for salsa just waiting their turn in the boiling water canner. Oh and a herd of fruit flies multiplying on the kitchen counter.
Here's what the truck at Hawkin's farm looked like this morning as we prepared to divide the vegetable shares. Those squiggly light green squash on the right are 'Rampicantes'. We decided they look like undiscovered creatures living in the deepest darkest part of the ocean.
Coming soon, I'll share some of these recipes for how I am preserving all this biomass, but right now I just need to keep slicing, stewing and freezing.
In the mean time here are a few timely posts:
- The Great Tomato Post - All my tomato posts from 2010 together
- Garden Veggies Roasted with Polenta - Recipe
- Making and Freezing Fresh Basil Pesto - Recipe
- Crunchy Fall Apple Crisp - Recipe
- Acorn Squash stuffed with Wild Rice - Recipe
What's going on in your kitchen and garden this week?